TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who's using a manual install a hand throttle in their '05+?

I installed a hand throttle on the gearshift of my old 4x4 so that I could operate the brake and clutch at the same time.... but I don't know how'd I manage to pull it off with this new fly-by-wire stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yeah, just yank on what ever the skinny pedal yanks on. The truck doesn't know any difference. I set one up under my hood with a bicycle cable by yanking on the cruse control quadrant.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is an actual cable that connects to something on the engine? I was worried it was some kind of computer chip attached to the gas pedal or something. I tried looking at the engine once but it had so many wires attached to it I got confused and put the cover back on.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Don't know on the later models but if the throttle moves you can find something to yank on can't you.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If looking at the engine confuses you that much, maybe you should not attempt this mod. You first step would have been to remove the engine cover, then look at the throttle body to see if it was cable or motor actuated, then determine the complexity of such a mod. I'm not messing with you, just good advice.

·
Registered
883 Posts
yea forget about hand throttle in these things. its an electronic throttle body.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If looking at the engine confuses you that much, maybe you should not attempt this mod. You first step would have been to remove the engine cover, then look at the throttle body to see if it was cable or motor actuated, then determine the complexity of such a mod. I'm not messing with you, just good advice.
Being mechanically competent doesn't mean I have a clue what I'm looking at when looking at a new electronically controlled fuelie. And conversely, not knowing what I'm looking when looking at a new electronically controlled fuelie doesn't mean that I'm not mechanically competent.

It's gonna take some time before I have this new fangled electronic everything figured out.

Anyway, what I'm guessing that once I figure out where the throttle body is I'll probably discover that it doesn't have a cable hooked to it, so I'm looking to see if someones already figured something out before I bash my head up trying to crawl around upside-down in the drivers footwell.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
10-4 not trying to insult your mechanical skills. As I said before, pull the cover and have a look around. I would do that before you get all upside down looking at the gas pedal.:2cents:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I actually sold a 05 Tacoma that was owned by a paraplegic, everything was hand controlled. It was an automatic though, not sure if that effects any of the electronic stuff since I've never stuck my head under the dash of an stick, but everything was directly linked to the pedals. It had a twist throttle like a motorcycle that was linked with a small steel rod to the gas pedal, bolted to the upper rod of the pedal with a small heim joint to allow articulation while keeping force on the rod. It was pretty cool, I romped it around the block feet free a couple times, it took a little more skill than I expected:D I cant remember the brake setup, but IIRC you pushed foreward on the grip to apply the brakes, so I think it was just another rod going to the brake pedal arm... I'll see if I can find the gizmos in my garage this weekend, I cant remember if we gave it back to the owners or not.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
From what I have seen under my dash the pedal is hooked up to a sensor similar to the TPS in my 22RE... .Havent looked under the hood for where the motor is, but in the cab its all drive by wire... Their may be no throttle cable anywhere, my guess is its all electronic and the motor is at the TPS area (for lack of a better term) :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Then yank on the stem of the gas pedal.
That would be the easiest way from what I can tell on mine... But then a wire gets in the way.. not worth it to me... I would rather carry a collapsable tent pole to add to it, when winching from out of the rig.. On my 5spd I use the e-brake and dont need a hand throttle (thou I own one for winching)...

One thing just occured to me, there isnt even a cruise control throttle wire to attach to, it does that by wire as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then yank on the stem of the gas pedal.
That's what I'm thinking...

Drill a small hole through the pedal leaver, run the steel cable part of a bicycle's break line through it and somehow affix the cable to the rear wall, then use a bikes brake lever as a throttle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ya lazy fuck? Get your ass out there and under that dash, now.
I wish, my garage is 500 miles away;) I'm pretty sure the auto and stick would use the same drive by wire system, and since it pulls directly on the pedal it it would do the same thing anyway.

I'm pretty sure I gave that junk back to the previous owner now, I think I would have noticed that lingering around in the garage for the last year. The one thing I cant remember is the linkage between the twist throttle and the steel rod that connected to the gas pedal...I guess you could just use a throttle cable like are on motorcycle twist grips...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts