TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used these?? do they work good for the TTORA runs? i would only use my cb for the offroad runs (6 times a year) so if they are good then it would be easier for me to just get a handheld CB rather than installing a cb just for 6 times a year. if anyone has used one please let me know how it works.
thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I got a cheap one for Christmas one year when I was a kid. It would pick up for about a mile or so, but would only transmit about half a mile. I'm sure there are much better ones now (this was about 15 years ago). I would bet it would work fine for what you're talking about. I don't know about current ones, but mine used crystals in it to tune the channels, and it only came with channel 40. I'd get one that you can change the channel on (heck, they probably don't even make the kind I had anymore).

If you go on interstates much, you would like having a decent CB though. Once you get used to having it for traffic information via the truckers (and they almost always know where the cops are), you'll feel naked without it. It is so awesome to be able to bypass a wreck twenty miles ahead rather than sit in traffic for an hour waiting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
has anyone used these?? do they work good for the TTORA runs? i would only use my cb for the offroad runs (6 times a year) so if they are good then it would be easier for me to just get a handheld CB rather than installing a cb just for 6 times a year. if anyone has used one please let me know how it works.
thanks
I have a handheld CB. The ones that install permanent are obviously better due to the big antenna, but if you only talking to people who you are caravaning with then it wont matter. The downside to the handheld is that it is much bulkier to use while driving compared to the small mic of a standard CB. Plus you gotta plug it in to the power outlet and have a wire attached, which is kinda messy if you have as much stuff in your truck as I do when I go on trips. I wouldn't install a permanent CB though, because like you I don't use it that much. I have a cell phone now, and unless I am out in a serviceless area, I would just use that. More private than the CB, and all of my friends have cell phones. Can always do like the caveman and wave with some grunts :D

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
I have one; a Cobra 38WX ST. I've only used it a limited amount, mainly because I don't have the opportunity to wheel a lot nor do I use it if I'm just out driving around. So anyway, my experience so far has been okay, but not great. I don't have an external antenna, just the antenna that comes with it. Reception is horrible. On the trail, I could catch most coversations that were in line of sight and not more than 200 ft away. On the interstate, I was lucky to hear anything if the person was roughly 1/4 of a mile away. An external antenna would help, but magnetic ones have been known to scratch the paint, and offroad they can get knocked off by branches and such. A more traditional mount works best, but then you're getting higher up in cost and complexity, which may be why you were considering the handheld (cheap/simple).

In my opinion, the handheld is not worth it. I pretty much knew that going into it, but needed a CB for a group ride one weekend, and got that one cuz it was quick and easy. A 75WX ST is only about $20-$30 more and an excellent "permanent" unit that takes up much less space (a rather stealthy unit). I would strongly suggest it over the handheld.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've got a handheld mainly to use when out of the truck (spotting, or scouting a trail). They work ok, reception and output is terrible in hilly areas. In the truck I dont hear anything more than a mile behind or 1.5 miles in front. If your just using it to connect with a small group your wheeling with it'll work fine.

Tim

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
thanks
I have a Cobra handheld, and I wasnt happy with it when I used it. I used it for Takeover last year, and it wasn't that great IMO. I'd just go with a regular cb, or you could go with the all-in-one type deal, I have one and it doesn't get in the way. I could send you pics of it if you want.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i just picked up that 75wxst cobra because everyone seems bummed on the handhelds, thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
A handheld plus a mag-mount antenna works pretty well. The antenna makes more difference than the radio, and longer is better is the general rule for performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts