TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew much about GPS units. I'm thinking about picking up the Garmin Colorado 300 handheld for in my truck and taking with me hunting this year. Anyone heard anything good/bad have any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I won't say I know a lot, but I do know a thing or two and have some opinions. :D

First off, the difference between the 300 and the 400t is that the 300 doesn't come with topo and the 400t does. You're going to want the topo. But depending on the pricing you find, it might be cheaper to get them seperate. It's usually around $100 different between the two models, and the topo usually runs that, but often goes on sale (or online) for $75.

Personally, I got a 60CSx just before the new gen came out, but I still wouldn't trade up. I don't like the limited number of buttons on them. With the 60 I can access or perform a couple of functions with a single button press that take some menu navigating on the newer ones. Smaller/lower resolution screen, but longer battery life. Seems a bit more rugged to me as well.

Don't know what all you're looking to do with it or what if any specific features you'd be looking for in one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll mostly be using it for hunting/hiking. Probably also buy a kit that allows me to mount it in the truck.

Basically Costco has the 300 on sale for $250 right now which seems like a good deal.

·
7,735 Posts
I don't know much about the newer models, but the Garmin Rino I have has taught me to really look at the menu navigation aspect. It seems to take forever to get any information out of my gps mostly because of trying to find the map screen, then get it to zoom in/out and pan. It's not difficult, just a pain in the ass. Next time I buy one, that's one feature I'll be searching for.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll mostly be using it for hunting/hiking. Probably also buy a kit that allows me to mount it in the truck.

Basically Costco has the 300 on sale for $250 right now which seems like a good deal.
That's a little more generic for use than I meant. For example, I don't really navigate with mine. I only use it for tracking/recording/marking routes, times, mileage, points, etc. and locating (as in WTF am I at the moment?). It also has a bunch of features like sun/moon locator, fishing times, etc. that some people look for and use but me not so much.

As a head's up if you've not used any gps units before, there is some crossover between road and trail navigation models but for the most part you're better off with one dedicated to each. I've yet to see a model that does both well.

That is a really good deal. I don't see anything close to that online right now. The topo software/data will be another hundred-ish, but you'd still be close to the unit alone anywhere else. You can get the entire US at 100k for about $75, or a group of western states at 24k for $100-130 (I have the former).

I don't know much about the newer models, but the Garmin Rino I have has taught me to really look at the menu navigation aspect. It seems to take forever to get any information out of my gps mostly because of trying to find the map screen, then get it to zoom in/out and pan. It's not difficult, just a pain in the ass. Next time I buy one, that's one feature I'll be searching for.
The Rino is basically a 60 with a radio. There's a couple of things you can do to speed up menu cycling and tricks to moving around (which you may already know), but I've never had too much trouble with mine. Zooming and panning is kind of slow, but it's a lot of data and a small screen. That's kind of why I mentioned knowing what you use it for and even how you use it, because what works for some people doesn't work as well for others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts