TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone have experience with HF welders?? I am looking at this one on sale for 299 and I have a 20% discount so I'm thinking it might be worth it just to find out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93793
I think it just depends on what you wanna do with it. I have their flux core welder, and it does good at most small things. I welded some new tailgate brackets on my truck today. I have had it for about 1.5 years. The only thing I dont like about it is the duty cycle is short, I prefer my arc welder. I also used it to takc the stuff on for my sas, and then drove to the welding shop to get it welded solid, that way I knew everything was aligned just right when they welded it

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
that welder should be fine... there is a guy on marlin that does all his structural welding with a harbor freight 110v 90 amp welder -- his junk aint fallen apart yet

·
Registered
108 Posts
The more expensive ones might pull a decent bead. But the cheap 100-150$ one that I borrowed could barely tack weld clean steel. If you're going to spend the money, I'd suggest spending a little more on a little lincoln, miller, or even a hobart. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
801 Posts
check craigslist, you can normally find a used lincoln or hobart for that price.

·
Registered
111 Posts
craigslist, thats how I got my Hobart Handler for $200 in mint condition. I've used it for flux core and argon/co2 gas, works great for my purpose. Lowes is now suppling gas on an exchange basis fyi.

If your going for heavy duty fabrication or thick welds, than you'll need to step up to a 220v model. Keep in mind of the duty cycle.

For me, welding sheet metal and small parts; the 110v model is good enough.

df

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have been using a Chicago Electric 151T for 8 years and never had it skip a beat. I gave it to a friend and its still going. It is the older model, the newer ones don't seem to be as nice, but they still work. I will say though that I upgraded to a 110v Hobart Handler 140 and the components are much nicer. Where the HF welder has plastic parts, the Hobart has metal, things like that. It's also interesting that I am abel to weld the same thicknesses with the 110v Hobart as I was with the 220v HF welder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.