TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new 20 GB iPod today and have been trying to research on how to wire it to my stock head unit so as to bypass all that FM transmitter and tapedeck transmitter junk. I need to know exactly what I am getting into. Including cables, converters, chargers etc.

What I am trying to accomplish is playing my iPod music through my stock head unit without losing any sound quality. I also need to know how the iPod will stay charged and where it can mount.

Here is my existing setup.

2001 Toyota stock radio with cd/tape
Kenwood 300x2 amp powering 2 JL W0 8" subs
Infinity components (no amp, just stock head unit power)

Any help would be wonderful. I want really clean sound with a clean looking installation.

Thanks for the help.

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
there are alot of them that work with your system, here is one i heard alot of good things about, it didnt work with my 2002 taco but i think there was something wrong with my CD changer input.
heres the link
www.ipod2car.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a ton for the help. It is exactly what I am after. But did you check out that price. $199! Thats almost what was paid for the iPod itself. Maybe I can find one a bit cheaper. Thanks again for the help. Really appreciate it.

-Justin
Mont Belvieu, TX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
justinsfa said:
thanks a ton for the help. It is exactly what I am after. But did you check out that price. $199! Thats almost what was paid for the iPod itself. Maybe I can find one a bit cheaper. Thanks again for the help. Really appreciate it.

-Justin
Mont Belvieu, TX
You should call some local stereo shops. The lowest price I found for the iPod2Car online was $179 plus shipping, but the first stereo shop I called said they had the exact same unit for $129, and that included installation. I'm getting it installed in my new '05 tomorrow, and can't WAIT. : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I am thinkiing to just use the cassette adapter for iPod. I know it only cost $20, but will I suffer from poor sound quality? If I must spend Almost $200, I might as well buy a new stereo system that allows to play MP3. Any comment appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Get the tape adapter, dude. I've used a tape adapter in my '01 and was totally pleased with it. Sound quality is absolutely not an issue. I'm only "upgrading" to the much more expensive aux input because the stereo in my new '05 has a CD player but no tape deck. : /

Note that to do it right you'll want more than just the cassette adapter, though. Gotta keep it charged up, eh? Here's what I recommend for a clean but cheap do-it-yourself setup.

- Tape adapter itself, $10 for a decent one, couple bucks for a cheapie.

- Belkin car charger with sound output port, $15-20 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48680&item=5754440755&rd=1

- Belkin cupholder-mounted bracket, $15-20 on eBay.

Mounting the iPod: The mounting bracket drops into the left cupholder next to your leg. If you lay the device back flat you can see what's playing with a quick glance and you can easily operate the device with your right hand which is hanging off the front of the center armrest anyway.

Charger Cord to Device: You run the charger cord from the rightmost 12v outlet down underneath the right edge of the center console and feed it under the cupholders so it comes out on the left side right by the cupholder. Most of this is just stuffing it under the edge where it stays put, but you'll need to undo two screws when you get back to where the cupholders are.

Adapter Cord from Deck to Charger Base: The tape deck adapter cord runs from the tape deck to the base of the charger which is plugged into the 12v outlet. You can wrap up the adapter cord with a twist-tie and stash it in the ashtray. Mine was white so I painted it black so you could hardly tell it was there.

Oh yeah, if you haven't already done so, do the ridiculously simple and cool "full-time power mod" so it's always charged up. http://myweb.cableone.net/marzonie/Full-Time-Power.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
justinsfa said:
thanks a ton for the help. It is exactly what I am after. But did you check out that price. $199! Thats almost what was paid for the iPod itself. Maybe I can find one a bit cheaper. Thanks again for the help. Really appreciate it.

-Justin
Mont Belvieu, TX
Its 200 just because it says ipod on it. Get the pie adapter in the link above. It is crystal clear and plugs right in..... pretty simple setup and much cheaper than 200. Trust me.... it works
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
scottnmos said:
Its 200 just because it says ipod on it. Get the pie adapter in the link above. It is crystal clear and plugs right in..... pretty simple setup and much cheaper than 200. Trust me.... it works
I came back to correct my post and yours caught my attention. I was psyched when they told me I could get the iPod2Car for $129, but after the install I noticed the stereo buttons didn't control the iPod. The guy said the gal who I talked to musta been high cuz she ordered me the PIE unit instead. With the PIE you have to use the iPod controls to skip tracks and stuff. The iPod2Car costs a bit more, but you can go up and down tracks with your stereo controls. I want to put/keep mine in the center console out of the way, so I'm willing to pay a little extra for the better iPod2Car adapter instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just stay away from the FM transmitter. That is what I am running away from. It really sucks. Really, really, really sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
justinsfa said:
just stay away from the FM transmitter. That is what I am running away from. It really sucks. Really, really, really sucks.
My first effort was a Belkin FM transmitter that runs on doubleA batteries. 100% worthless. The guy installing my AuxIn said there is another one that mounts in the car for power supply and connects to the antenna for a much better signal.

Also, if you're going the AuxIn route, another reason to go iPod2Car is that it charges the device. I've got my temporary PIE while they order the right one, and it's REALLY frustrating to have the device not get charged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
JeeBar said:
I came back to correct my post and yours caught my attention. I was psyched when they told me I could get the iPod2Car for $129, but after the install I noticed the stereo buttons didn't control the iPod. The guy said the gal who I talked to musta been high cuz she ordered me the PIE unit instead. With the PIE you have to use the iPod controls to skip tracks and stuff. The iPod2Car costs a bit more, but you can go up and down tracks with your stereo controls. I want to put/keep mine in the center console out of the way, so I'm willing to pay a little extra for the better iPod2Car adapter instead.
I guess that the extra money is worth it if you want to put it out of the way, but the pie is like less than 70 bucks. I figured that I couldnt read the display anyways if its tucked away, so even though you are changing tracks with the radio, it wont display the song/artist info on it so it isnt worth the 129 more just to be able to reach 6" closer to use my radio to control it vice the ipod itself. Personal preference I guess.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
iPod Adapter Research

I just purchased a USASpec PA-10 TOY iPod adapter. I liked it because is also has an AUX input.

http://www.usaspec.com/index.htm

Monster Cable also has come out with a new one. For $500 you will be able to see song title and artist info. (way too pricey and too many frilly extras for me)

http://monstercable.com/iCruze/default.asp

Here are some other models that I found on my journey as well.

Neo iOn
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

Dension
http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=93&topid=42&pid=50

I spoke with a few different dealers, one of them told me that toward the end of the year, some of these adapters will be able to send the song track information to radios that are XM Satellite ready.

The '05 Tacoma stock radio is able to receive text from Digital Radio signals. I'm guessing that eventually there will be an adapter that utilizes that feature as well.

While I'm here, does anybody have a picture or a diagram of the back of the '05 Tacoma radio?

I'm told that it has a different CD Changer port compared to any of the previous Tacoma models.

I haven't installed my new iPod adapter yet and I'd really like to take a look at one before I start ripping apart my dashboard to get to the radio.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you charge you iPod and how does the PIE adapter connect to the iPod (where do the cables plug into it)? On the iPod2car, only one cable is used (the same cable that is used to connect the iPod to your computer). I have 2 vehicles and really don't feel like buying 2 iPod2car kits at $200 each. I don't care about operating it through the stock radio controls either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
justinsfa said:
How do you charge you iPod and how does the PIE adapter connect to the iPod (where do the cables plug into it)? On the iPod2car, only one cable is used (the same cable that is used to connect the iPod to your computer). I have 2 vehicles and really don't feel like buying 2 iPod2car kits at $200 each. I don't care about operating it through the stock radio controls either.
For the price I just get a pie adapter and a car charger.... and hardwire it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Kinda off topic, but I was curious where I could find a 4gb Ipod mini for less than $179.99? Thats the price at CompUSA here in Houston, but just curious if any of you internet saavy shoppers would know of a better deal. Excluding EBay of course :welder:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spend the extra 100 bucks and get the 20gb. I paid 279 at best buy off katy frwy in houston 2 weeks ago.

-justin
mont belvieu, tx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
justinsfa said:
spend the extra 100 bucks and get the 20gb. I paid 279 at best buy off katy frwy in houston 2 weeks ago.

-justin
mont belvieu, tx
Its a gift, so there isn't a point in spending the extra dough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I bought an aux input converter for my Pioneer head unit but it doesn't control the iPod nor charge it. I'm thinking of selling it if anyone is interested, I like skipping around to much to use the iPod while driving when I already have a MP3 head unit with remote control.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top