TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put small subs, like 6.5" or 8", in the rear speaker location of an Extra Cab. If so how did you do it? what subs? how dose it sound? and do you have pics? thanks

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
GreenTaco said:
Has anyone put small subs, like 6.5" or 8", in the rear speaker location of an Extra Cab. If so how did you do it? what subs? how dose it sound? and do you have pics? thanks
Theres not enough room, plus it would be a pain getting it air tight. I would just put a 10 under the seat or 2 8s.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
GreenTaco said:
My truck had custom figerglass 8" subs holes in there when I bought it. I had some Rockford Fosgate subs in there but they sounded like ass. Now I just have my bandpass box in the extra cab so I don't need them anyway. I'm sure if I put some kind of sealed sub in there it would prob sound really good. Like Kickers or something.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Phil88 said:
Theres not enough room, plus it would be a pain getting it air tight. I would just put a 10 under the seat or 2 8s.

I agree, the rear compartment is only bolted in with four 12 mm bolts. It would vibrate like a mofo with subs installed to it.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
I put 6.5" speakers in the rear speaker location, where I originally had storage pockets. Even with those, I had to do a little work to eliminate rattles. I can only imagine how crappy subs would sound if mounted in there. I'm sure you can get a drop in enclosure to seal the back, but you are still mounting it to plastic, and that will have issues.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
ShowStop said:
I put 6.5" speakers in the rear speaker location, where I originally had storage pockets. Even with those, I had to do a little work to eliminate rattles. I can only imagine how crappy subs would sound if mounted in there. I'm sure you can get a drop in enclosure to seal the back, but you are still mounting it to plastic, and that will have issues.
Mine are bolted to the body and they didn't rattle at all. I just had the worng speakers in there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GreenTaco said:
Yes, if you can search far back enough there was a guy who had an 8" JL in the xtracab mounting locations.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bear said:
I agree, the rear compartment is only bolted in with four 12 mm bolts. It would vibrate like a mofo with subs installed to it.
It can be done but the stock plastic mounting bracket has to be swapped out for some MDF. Search the old forum and go back about 2 years. There was a guy who did it with 8" JL's.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Phil88 said:
There's plenty of room for an 8" sub and a custom enclosure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GreenTaco said:

you have just enough room for 8" subs in the rear stock speaker location. I've done about 5 trucks that way. I had JL 8w6 in mine when i had an xcab. next best thing would be JL 8w3's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GreenTaco said:
Ok don't listen to any of these fools on here about not doing it.
If I were you I would research how to do fiber glassing. It's pretty easy stuff! just take some measurements for how much air space you need, make a frame and give it like 6 layers. BAM!!!!! your in business!

·
Registered
116 Posts
GreenTaco said:
do you have any pics, do you know of any write up on how to do it. how did they sound
It sounds great.

I'd have to look, its been a couple of years. if i remember right the face of the box was about 14" tall x 8-9" wide (it was the same width of the opening when you remove the plastic for the factory speaker) it wasn't very deep.

I'll work on a write up unless someone has one already.

·
Registered
279 Posts
chopaholic said:
you have just enough room for 8" subs in the rear stock speaker location. I've done about 5 trucks that way. I had JL 8w6 in mine when i had an xcab. next best thing would be JL 8w3's.
Was that you with the Green xtracab and JL's in the side panels? I was looking for the pics you posted way back on delphi if that was you.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
akshunj said:
Was that you with the Green xtracab and JL's in the side panels? I was looking for the pics you posted way back on delphi if that was you.

If you were actually posting to me, but I think you were posting to Green Taco.

It was not me, I have a gold truck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts