TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any personal experience using one of those Lithium Ion Jump starter battery packs on their vehicles as an emergency fallback in the event that the battery can't crank out enough juice in cold weather to get you going?

My '12 Yamaha R1 had serious problems last winter getting started in temps below 35 degrees F, and I ended up killing my stock battery a few times, then replaced it with a brand new one and had the same thing happen with that once before I just avoided riding on days where I would have to start in those conditions. I've since installed a Flashtune bike-side hardness for installing custom ECU tunes but haven't really had a chance to dial it in for cold weather starting yet with it being so (pleasantly) warm here this year so far since the FT install.

I purchased a supposed 18000 mAH Lithium Ion jump starter unit from a company called Sauoki, but the unit was DOA and i had to return it without ever getting a chance to use or test it out. These things are pretty light and easy to throw in your backpack, weighing around 1 pound or less.

Here is the one I originally bought and returned:

https://www.amazon.com/G7-18000mAh-Portable-Starter-Charging/dp/B015O7AK62/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471931260&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=suaoki+jump+starter&psc=1

Has anyone else used one of these types of jump packs for this purpose on any bike or other vehicle?

I recently fabbed up some remote battery terminals to use for jumping if need be but need something to kick the juice into them from.

Thoughts?

It would be great if anyone else had personal experience trying out one of these types of things and could give some feedback.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Matco Tools versapower, it's worked great for the last 2 years and counting. I've used it to start dead four wheelers out camping, trucks at work(mechanic), and just to charge coworkers phones.

2 of the guys at work have one and I gave one to my aunt. So far no issues or complaints. Not sure it would fit under the seat of an R1 though

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Matco Tools versapower, it's worked great for the last 2 years and counting. I've used it to start dead four wheelers out camping, trucks at work(mechanic), and just to charge coworkers phones.

2 of the guys at work have one and I gave one to my aunt. So far no issues or complaints. Not sure it would fit under the seat of an R1 though
Just looked it up and that's a similar type of technology to what I'm looking into. I wouldn't keep it under the seat of the bike but in a backpack when commuting or possibly in my office at work during the normal work week in case it won't start at night when I leave (working weird-ass late shifts into the middle of the night). Leaving it in the bike would kinda defeat the purpose anyways since Lithium Ion batteries are more prone to the sapping effects of cold weather than a standard lead acid or AGM battery.

I can literally fit nothing extra in that bullshit compartment under the rear seat of my R1.... literally nothing other than a plastic ziplock bag with my registration in it and just barely a thin plastic puck to put under the kickstand for when I park on pavement in summer. Even with just those things it's sometimes hard to close. I have the capped(for short protection) remote terminals kinda tucked down under the main seat and I can fish them out if I need a jump.

How much did you pay for that unit and about how much have you used it? It seems like a lot of people have problems with the longevity of these things. Batteries bulging to the point where the unit splits in half, batteries not holding a charge, or just generally failing within a year or so.

Have you ever intentionally tested the capacity of the unit by charging other things from it that have known capacities such as laptops or cell phones? It seems that a lot of people are reviewing some of the cheaper ones and saying that despite them being rated at somewhere around 16,000 to 18,000 mAh, they are actually like 3,000 mAh... which is essentially almost a cell phone battery.

I am sorta getting the impression that the battery technology for these things may not yet be up to par for the purpose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I paid $170-ish for it on the tool truck when it came out. I've used it a decent amount for jumping vehicles, mostly it gets used for charging phones and Bluetooth headphones. We plugged in 4 cell phones once and it charged them.... And it holds a charge for months when it's not in use.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.... If the cheaper units a regaining there's a reason for it... On the other hand even the hi-end ones can have failures or defects even new out of the box. As for the technology not being there I can't agree with you there, I've seen too many of these jump packs used and work without issues. My .02

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I paid $170-ish for it on the tool truck when it came out. I've used it a decent amount for jumping vehicles, mostly it gets used for charging phones and Bluetooth headphones. We plugged in 4 cell phones once and it charged them.... And it holds a charge for months when it's not in use.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.... If the cheaper units a regaining there's a reason for it... On the other hand even the hi-end ones can have failures or defects even new out of the box. As for the technology not being there I can't agree with you there, I've seen too many of these jump packs used and work without issues. My .02
Thanks for the feedback.

I just noticed you live in Alaska... Have you used this thing when it was stored outside in a cold vehicle to the point where the pack itself was below freezing and noticed a major dip in cranking power from the pack?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not left outside over night but it did spend a day in the storage bag on my ATV for a day in November two years ago. Didn't notice a change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use one. Antigravity Microstart xp-1. Use it on my 1993 pickup with the 3.4, and I also use it on my 2007 zx6r ninja. Absolutely love it and have tried other brands and didn't care for them. I paid about 100 on ebay. They say this thing can jump an engine up to 5.7 liters.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use one. Antigravity Microstart xp-1. Use it on my 1993 pickup with the 3.4, and I also use it on my 2007 zx6r ninja. Absolutely love it and have tried other brands and didn't care for them. I paid about 100 on ebay. They say this thing can jump an engine up to 5.7 liters.
How long have you had that thing for? Antigravity has a great reputation in the industry but they are super expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using it for over a year. I bought mine for about $100 and others I've seen and used were about that price. I want to get another one so I have one in my truck and one in my backpack when I ride my motorcycle and not have to remember to transfer it back and forth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been using it for over a year. I bought mine for about $100 and others I've seen and used were about that price. I want to get another one so I have one in my truck and one in my backpack when I ride my motorcycle and not have to remember to transfer it back and forth.
Does yours have the glossy cover or the matte finish? I've read that the glossy covered ones (which are typically cheaper than the matte) are mostly Chinese clones and not real Antigravity products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts