TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two rental properties and I am looking for a small truck that can handle plowing if I need it to. I found a great deal on a 4wd 4cyl reg cab Tacoma in town and I was wondering if it could handle some plowing. I assume that a 6 cyl would be best but they are so hard to find and they cost so much more.

Please let me know of your experiences.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
buy a beater full sz blazer or something to plow with. youll end up messin up the taco if u doo too much. maybe a small plow to plow with occasionally but not full time? my step dad has one of the small ones on an s10ext cab 4x4 (2002 i think). broke a transfercase last winter. theres an 88 path finder round here thats been plowing a couple yrs but its a yard truck.

i say buy a taco and a full sz short wheel base beater.

or do a search here its been discussed. a couple times

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can't really comapre an s-10 to a taco. It's like comapring apples to shit. I'd say it'll plow fine. Probably not 3 foot at a time drifts, but moderate snows should be no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have plowed with an 86 4 cyl toy with locker in the back and will say it did a great job, beat the hell out of the truck and the worst thing I had ever faced was a flat tire from ice in valve stem. Granted a 6 cyl would be better (faster more torque and hp for heavy snow but as long as you go out every 6 inches you should be fine. I recently did go to a 6 cyl Toy and it was a big difference. Lot times went down to do a typical lot I had for 6 years. Forget the S-10

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can't really comapre an s-10 to a taco. It's like comapring apples to shit. I'd say it'll plow fine. Probably not 3 foot at a time drifts, but moderate snows should be no problem.
I did push 23 inches of packed snow with my 4 cyl toy, I did have to ram it though to get through the road side packing.

Apples to what? Chevy used to make a great truck. Give my my rice.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Apples to what? Chevy used to make a great truck. Give my my rice.
USED to being the key word there (in the 60's) and the s-10 never was. It's been a POS since it was first introduced.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a 93' pickup, with the 22re in it and i plowed with it for three years and my dad plowed with it for 8 years before me. It could push a foot of snow pretty well, as long as it wasnt really wet snow. Now i have an 04' taco, with the 2.7 4cyl and it has tons more power than the 22re so im guessing it would be great for plowing. If you like your truck though, i would try to find a beater truck, because plowing beats the shit out of your truck. My 22re had a wristpin go before it hit 100,000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. I found a different truck I think Im going to purchase. I work at a Toyota dealership and we just got in a 98 Tacoma 2.7 5spd, reg cab. Its in absolutely mint condition and it drives perfect. Not to mention that its a steal at $6700!

Im still not sure on the plowing thing though. We have a old 91 Tacoma they sometimes use to plow with but its pretty much at the end of its life. I dont suppose the plow kit from that truck will fit on the 98 would it? Its a fisher.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
dude just spend an extra couple grand on an older toy model and drop the plow from work onto it. just park it till u need it. no takin a plow on or off all the time and the taco will stay solid and dependable for a lot longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude just spend an extra couple grand on an older toy model and drop the plow from work onto it. just park it till u need it. no takin a plow on or off all the time and the taco will stay solid and dependable for a lot longer.
Spend an extra couple of grand and get an older Tacoma? I don't get it. ? A an older one wouldnt be any stronger. and B I dont want to buy an older one, they are hard enough to find as it is.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
buy the 6grand one as dd. buy a beater for plowing. older ones have stronger frames if im not on crack. that way u wouldnt fuck up the nice one and wouldnt have to f around taking the plow on and off. u said u already had access to a plow for the old one. shit man there was just a 91 in the autotrader (ext cab 4x4 4 banger) for 1500. just think about plowing through that icy shit at the end of the driveways. u know the shit that u will have to take a run at to move.

for 1500 + the plow from your work youd have a good beater to plow w and no worries about fin up the dd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts