TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I installed the SC on my 3.4 V6 and do experience pinging under high gear/ low rpm conditions. Although given the extra power I don't think I could drive a normally aspirated tacoma ever again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
RItaco said:
I installed the SC on my 3.4 V6 and do experience pinging under high gear/ low rpm conditions. Although given the extra power I don't think I could drive a normally aspirated tacoma ever again.

If it is a TRD, do they do any work on the computer. You would think that it would be needed. I am new to tacos but I would bet there is still a knock sensor and the factory computer (DME?) has a routine for handling knock. With the addition of the SC this would likely need to be modified (range?). Also, does this only occur with regular, or does 91 or 93 octanes eliminate it?

Not knowing exactly what TRD installs, I think you need more than just slapping the SC on, if that is what they do... It needs to be integrated to the engine and its controls, not just bolted on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
dsumners said:
If it is a TRD, do they do any work on the computer. You would think that it would be needed. I am new to tacos but I would bet there is still a knock sensor and the factory computer (DME?) has a routine for handling knock. With the addition of the SC this would likely need to be modified (range?). Also, does this only occur with regular, or does 91 or 93 octanes eliminate it?

Not knowing exactly what TRD installs, I think you need more than just slapping the SC on, if that is what they do... It needs to be integrated to the engine and its controls, not just bolted on.
Yes I installed the TRD SC which I purchased on ebay actually. You best best is to download the installation manual if you considering the trd SC.

http://www.trdusa.com/InstallManuals.asp

Essentially the manual does call for you to slap it on and run "premium" fuel. According to the faq section a) you do not need to install a fuel pressure regulator and my favorite b) The Toyota Electronic Control Unit’s (ECU) program constantly “learns and adjusts.”

Be sure to check out http://www.gadgetonline.com as he has tried and evaluated every human conceivable fuel system mod to improve on the SC's performance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe there are some people out there with only a S/C and no ping issues but all of the live in the higher elevations.

The sure bet inexpensive fix is the Split Second TMC1.1, it suppresses ping by retarding the timing.

Robert

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's interesting, we come over to the new board, the old timers stop posting about the dangers of ping, and we have to preach the word all over again.

With the TRD unit, all 3.4's suffer from the high-end leanout. All 3.4's suffer from ping to VARYING degrees.

If someone says they put the SC on with NO MODS and say everything is fine, they're either ignorant (was the case with me) or flat-out lying.

Brian

ps - and NO. The TRD kit does NOTHING to the electronics, unless you get the 7th injector kit, and it's unknown what that does exactly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think anyone put the SC on with no mods and says all is fine (except TRD of course); I am looking the URD kit to make the most of the SC. At the risk of HiJacking the thread; can any verify that passing local emisions inspection is still possible after adding the kit?

·
Registered
650 Posts
RItaco said:
I don't think anyone put the SC on with no mods and says all is fine (except TRD of course); I am looking the URD kit to make the most of the SC. At the risk of HiJacking the thread; can any verify that passing local emisions inspection is still possible after adding the kit?
Well, some people in California say they've passed no problem.. but I've still yet to see someone in the Los Angeles/Orange County (toughest in the State/US) claim they've passed.

Brian

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i passed with no problems out here in riverside county

·
Registered
565 Posts
Although OC may be tougher to pass, if you find the "right shop" anything is possible. I passed easily with my 'illegal' NWOR header......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ignorant?

mrbigbri said:
It's interesting, we come over to the new board, the old timers stop posting about the dangers of ping, and we have to preach the word all over again.

With the TRD unit, all 3.4's suffer from the high-end leanout. All 3.4's suffer from ping to VARYING degrees.

If someone says they put the SC on with NO MODS and say everything is fine, they're either ignorant (was the case with me) or flat-out lying.

Brian

ps - and NO. The TRD kit does NOTHING to the electronics, unless you get the 7th injector kit, and it's unknown what that does exactly.
You really shouldn’t group everyone that hasn’t experienced a problem into these two categories (Ignorant & Liars). I agree that you can make any 3.4 ping with enough effort (High gear, 500 RPMs, and a lot of throttle). I can even make my Dad’s NA Tacoma ping under these conditions. However, elevation does seem to make a difference (I live at 5,200 ft). I have had my SC Taco for 20,000 miles and I had no ping problem. I know what causes the condition and I know what it sounds like. I am not saying that the URD and 7th injector kits aren’t the way to go, but they are not always needed. I don’t need either kit, but I am still planning to buy the URD kit when I can afford it (Want for performance reasons = more hp/trq).

Side note: That said I wouldn’t say I was happy with my TRD supercharger. I am still trying to resolve a warranty issue from a “complete internal failure.” Hopefully this failure was just a fluke.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am not saying that the URD and 7th injector kits aren’t the way to go, but they are not always needed.
Do you have an EGT guage installed so you can see if you're running lean anywhere above 4,000 rpms?

Brian

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
dsumners said:

You have a lot to learn. www.gadgetonline.com.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts