TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has shimmed the valves on a 96' 3.4V6. When I got my valve gasket recall done the dealer shaved the head for possible warpage and didn't shim the valves and now it sounds like a deisel and he refuses to fix it. Does anyone know the specs for this? I have fairly good mechanical skills and I am thinging of doing this my self to save about $600. Any advice would be great

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
chrisjohne said:
I was wondering if anyone has shimmed the valves on a 96' 3.4V6. When I got my valve gasket recall done the dealer shaved the head for possible warpage and didn't shim the valves and now it sounds like a deisel and he refuses to fix it. Does anyone know the specs for this? I have fairly good mechanical skills and I am thinging of doing this my self to save about $600. Any advice would be great
I'd be all about calling corporate toyota, the better buisness bureau, consumer affairs, and have him re-seat the valves properly. Remember, HE GOT PAID BY TOYOTA to do this work. No question he billed for the entire job. That is a RECALL issue, not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would think that Toyota should be responcible for that. You didn't ask them to do only half the work. They should complete the job right. Call the corporate number and see what they will do. It might take a little while but they will fix it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
chrisjohne said:
I would be bitching about this one directly to toyota also. When my 95.5 heads were done, they were shaved, and all the valves were actually replaced. And of course they were then all properly shimmed. I thought replacing the valves was a bit excessive, but they did the work. Shimming valves is a serious pain in the ass. You have to have complete shim set, and i'm not sure on the 3.4 but usually theres a special tool to allow you to compress the valve and get the old shim out so you can insert the new one. I remember doing this on my old 85 mr2. It was hell, even with the special tool and help from a former toyota tech.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts