TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be looking to buy a home in the SE valley, mostly looking at Chandler and Ahwatukee at the moment. Looking at recent housing prices it seems like things have leveled out a bit, maybe even on the rebound from recent lows. I like the place I'm currently renting, and would not mind staying here as long as prices continue dropping, but it does seem like a good time to jump into home ownership right about now.

Anyone have some insight on the real estate biz? Tips for a firs time buyer, other than no HOA's, that's a given for me with all the :saw: & :welder: ?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm buying right now.

It's vicious out there, The banks are throttling how many houses are on the market, I have seen bidding wars in the fricken street in front of a short sale.

Have your money lined up and ready. I am prequaled 3 places and I hope to use that to my advantage.

Be prepared to offer on the first visit.

Be prepared to offer more than the listed price.

Beware that if you make an offer on a short sale the bank can sit on for a long time then kick you to the curb.

I'm not a first time buyer, The rules are a little better for you in that regard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own my own business and do a lot of business networking in the SE valley. Pretty much every Realtor I know through several Chambers of Commerce is saying the same things both of you guys did. Prices are low but on a slight increase in some cases, multiple offers, and homes selling very quickly (within weeks instead of 6+ months). Definitely get pre-approved for your loan. And I would add, go with a Realtor that either has 10-20 years of experience themself, or is part of an office that has been in business for 20 or so years. Those are the people that have the past experience from previous down markets that will help you find the best deal for you. I can give you several referrals if you would like them. --Brett

·
Registered
429 Posts
i agree with the previous statements. it seems the se valley is recovering more so than other parts of the vallet also so that makes competetion that much tighter. there seems to be alot of house out there but they are either overpriced, in shitty areas or piles of garbage. great time to buy right now.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are some 400 homes for sale in the zip code I'm looking at, and most of them are either within or below my budget, but most are also sub-par as to what I am looking for. The main problem with this neigborhood is that the houses there are either $100k, 1300 ft^2 30-40 year old starter homes, or $500k, 3000 ft^2 'mansions'. Not much in-between..

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Expand your search grid and narrow down your requirements. That's what I did, and I eventually ended up with a $450k (what comparable houses in the neighborhood sold recently for) house for just over $300k in northernish scottsdale.

The houses are out there, you just need to be less picky on area.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I bought a new house last year, and one of my best friends bought a house 6 months ago. I know first hand that each house we looked at, and every house my friend looked at had multiple offers on them. We ended up with a pretty good price, and now a year later have some equity in our home. In my opinion, now is a great time to buy, I think we are at bottom.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You guys are cracking me up.

You wouldn't get much for $500K around here, even if you could find anything at that price and $100K is more like a couple of months rent or something. LOL

A really nice house close by recently went sale pending after they reduced the price 40K twice which got it down to about $960K.

Count yer lucky stars. Then again we can still walk around outside during the summer months and don't have to go into hibernation or hide in an AC enviroment for half the year.

There are some 400 homes for sale in the zip code I'm looking at, and most of them are either within or below my budget, but most are also sub-par as to what I am looking for. The main problem with this neigborhood is that the houses there are either $100k, 1300 ft^2 30-40 year old starter homes, or $500k, 3000 ft^2 'mansions'. Not much in-between..

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You guys are cracking me up.

You wouldn't get much for $500K around here, even if you could find anything at that price and $100K is more like a couple of months rent or something. LOL

A really nice house close by recently went sale pending after they reduced the price 40K twice which got it down to about $960K.

Count yer lucky stars. Then again we can still walk around outside during the summer months and don't have to go into hibernation or hide in an AC enviroment for half the year.
I have quite a few friends that bought up there recently, bidding wars are not at all uncommon. Unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
So how much beer does it take to fill your pool and which brand do you prefer for your pool?

Do you have lots of pool parties where everyone comes over and pisses in your beer?

Yeh! FYI Californians, not all of us in Az stay locked up in the house all summer. That's what pools and beer are made for.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That sounds like really good trick, to swim and drink beer at the same time. I'm skeptical that you can even do it at all.
However, I'd think it would be a lot easier to pull off if you did fill the pool with beer if that's what you were trying to do. Just sayin.

I knew you were confused. I swim in the pool while drinking beer.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Piss is sterile and clorine is poison ya know . The Romans even washed their togas in the stuff, piss not clorine, and we were even taught to piss on our buddies if they were ever gut shot and couldn't get medevaced right away.
So now I'm wondering if standing in a pool full of piss would help cure athletes foot. I guess the answer to that will have to come from Arizona.

?

I stand in the pool with cold adult beverages.

Swimming? That's for young people.

Piss in the pool? That's what chlorine is for... :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts