TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-- Not sure where this goes, since it applies to early and late models, so I'm posting here..

I think I'm getting some 17" Soft 8 steelies for Xmas and I'm still deciding what I'm going to do to address the calipers on my 06 Sport.

For the folks that have ground down their calipers, have your caliper rusted after grinding?

I'm not sure what they are made of, but I suspect it's mild steel with some sort of protective coating applied.

Did you just prime/paint the ground surface?

Thanks!
AC

·
Registered
161 Posts
I started to grind mine, 'till I thought about it a little bit. It did rust where it had been ground, I cleaned it and just rattle canned it. I ended up getting wheels that fit better. I've heard some people mention grinding the inside of the wheel a bit flatter to get their steelies to fit. I know the ones I have now (can't remember the brand for the life of me) had a little bit of a lip on the inside of the holes. Only thing that would concern me about that route would be balance issues that may arise.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Mine never rusted when I ground down my calipers on my '97 back in the day. But that was because I immediately coated the calipers with caliper paint and called it a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts