TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I turn my 4runner off, i hear a bubbling sound. It's coming from the overflow tank. The tube from the radiator to the overflow tank is blowing air into the tank and making bubbles like blowing into a drink with a straw. I pulled the cap off the overflow, and the tube that goes down into the tank is still blowing out pressure/steam and the coolant in the tank stops bubbling so I know it's not boiling coolant . Car is not overheating and oil look good and not milky.
Specs: 88 4runner 3.0 5spd, motor was replace probably 10 years ago when the HG blew and warped the head. New motor is a new Jasper engine. with 100k on it now.
Do I have a HG blown or thermostat stuck issue. What says the people.
Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
That's fairly normal, it sounds like an air bind is working its way out. Any coolant system work recently? If it was a head gasket you would see nice white smoke out the exhaust. Pull a plug and see if there's coolant on them. While cold, start the engine with the radiator cap off. If it bubbles over, you have a coolant leak and exhaust gas is making its way into the radiator, and out the cap... resulting in bubbles/geyser action.

Thermostat stuck open, the engine wouldn't get normal hot and the heater would suck.

Stuck closed and it'd overheat.

But mainly my vote is an air bubble in the system working its way out. Have you driven it low on coolant without knowing? When the engine cools down it sucks in coolant from the overflow; possible it could have been low so it sucked in air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
wakkjobb
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing