TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I found out today that I have to pull the head off my 89 pickup to get 2 fubar'ed spark plugs out :mad: while I'm in there is there anything extra I should be replacing/upgrading? cam maybe?
I have a Haynes manual and I am mechanically inclined so I'm not worried about it.....but does any one have any tricks or tips to share?
Also do I really need to drain the oil?

·
Registered
347 Posts
So I found out today that I have to pull the head off my 89 pickup to get 2 fubar'ed spark plugs out :mad: while I'm in there is there anything extra I should be repalcing/upgrading? cam maybe?
I have a Haynes manual and I am mechanically inclined so I'm not worried about it.....but does any one have any tricks or tips to share?
Also do I really need to drain the oil?
I would download the FSM page, it is far more detailed that the haynes manual if you haven't done this before.

If you have to pull the head, I would do the timing chain and guides while you're in there. This is definitely the time to do that.

You don't have to drain the oil, but it would be a good idea to incase any debris drop in the pan.

So are you getting a new head or what? If the threads are messed up, then thats what you need to do, but if they are stuck in there, then you can take other methods to remove them.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would download the FSM page, it is far more detailed that the haynes manual if you haven't done this before.

If you have to pull the head, I would do the timing chain and guides while you're in there. This is definitely the time to do that.

You don't have to drain the oil, but it would be a good idea to incase any debris drop in the pan.

So are you getting a new head or what? If the threads are messed up, then thats what you need to do, but if they are stuck in there, then you can take other methods to remove them.
Ok timing chain and guides too.

I just changed the oil so I'm trying to avoid that ($48 for a 5L of syn)

I was planning on taking the head off and taking the 2 plugs out that are siezed in there. Putting a new head gasket on, new valve cover gasket, new exhaust gasket, upgraded cam (LCE), PVC valve and grommet, and now timing chain and guides.

I tried to heat them and they didn't budge at all, now they're broken completly down to the nut. But if you have other methods than I'm all ears.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What are you running synthetic in a 22RE for? I wouldn't waste my money on that, but its up to you.

I guess a picture would help me understand with what you're dealing with, I'm picturing plugs with all the porcelain broken and the nut intact. A breaker bar on the nut? You don't want to heat them because heating expands the threads making them more difficult to remove.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you running synthetic in a 22RE for? I wouldn't waste my money on that, but its up to you.

I guess a picture would help me understand with what you're dealing with, I'm picturing plugs with all the porcelain broken and the nut intact. A breaker bar on the nut? You don't want to heat them because heating expands the threads making them more difficult to remove.
I only use syn oil in my junk. But not a good idea for this one??

I forgot to add that the PO had rounded the nuts off and a 6 point socket is useless. Ya porcelain broken and electrode too, down to the nut.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No, its not bad for it, but like you mentioned its pricey and its not like its a brand new IS that requires synthetic or anything. Completely up to you.

I would attempt to tap on a slightly smaller socket onto the remainder of the pugs, something barely smaller. Might want to try a standard socket, just something slightly smaller that will allow you to get a grip on it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, its not bad for it, but like you mentioned its pricey and its not like its a brand new IS that requires synthetic or anything. Completely up to you.

I would attempt to tap on a slightly smaller socket onto the remainder of the pugs, something barely smaller. Might want to try a standard socket, just something slightly smaller that will allow you to get a grip on it.
tried that too and no go and a standard socket, but I guess I could try again with a BFH

·
Registered
94 Posts
Might want to just look into a new head. There fairly inexpensive on Craigslist. I don't think that your goin to get those plugs out with the problems your saying your having.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might want to just look into a new head. There fairly inexpensive on Craigslist. I don't think that your goin to get those plugs out with the problems your saying your having.
I think you may be right about that.

Are the 22R heads compatiable with the 22RE block?

·
Registered
347 Posts
There's something strange about the intake and exhaust lifts he posted, maybe he got the specs wrong. That's around 7mm of lift which is low. Here's a comparison of various cams

If it is really what he says it is, it looks good. I haven't had any experience with ATK. Take him up on the offer to see how it runs, and if he has a receipt to prove its relatively new. The cam seems like a mid-grade cam between performance and stock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's something strange about the intake and exhaust lifts he posted, maybe he got the specs wrong. That's around 7mm of lift which is low. Here's a comparison of various cams

If it is really what he says it is, it looks good. I haven't had any experience with ATK. Take him up on the offer to see how it runs, and if he has a receipt to prove its relatively new. The cam seems like a mid-grade cam between performance and stock.
I checked ATK website and the numbers are correct what problems if any would I run into with a cam like this? 3mm diff so 1/8" less than stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts