TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To keep a long story short I finally found my issue causing multiple misfires and lean bank 1. Blown head gasket.

For all the details here is the original thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191188

I am not quite sure how my head gasket went, I don't drive like a bat outta hell and my engine has never over heated. The mileage on this engine is around 100k, it is a used engine I bought 4 years ago from ATTARCO and it came with somewhere between 30-60k miles.

After talking with some Toyota mechanics and family friends with mechanic backgrounds we're pretty sure it was probably just a bad gasket.

Anyway, I purchased the full gasket kit (from heads up) from the stealership for way too much :2cents: I'm going to go to Napa and see if they have the Felpro head studs for a better price. I know Kmillan had a problem with Napa giving him the wrong bolts so I may end up supporting the stealership again.

A little under a year ago I did this job on Kmillan's tacoma so I have experience and I have a manual to follow. My only concern is the shape the heads are in since this was such a random failure. Through searching at dismantler yards, junk yards, online and talking with mechanics I will be looking at about $1400 for a pair of heads; of course this is all IF my heads are cracked, warped ect.

If that is the case I plan on just swapping in (another) used engine. One dismantler offered me a 2000 4runner 3.4 for a grand with 98k and I have found a few on CL for around the same price.

Anyway, my apologies for the novel. I figured I would start a thread and post up as many pics as I remember to take for future reference if anyone runs into a head gasket issue.

Pics will follow tomorrow evening. I have already pulled everything off down to the cams

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, thanks!

Nahhh I was thinkin I should drop a Cummins in it. Thatll bolt straight up right? And give me ultimate wheelin advantage??:rofl::missingto

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
As long as it didn't overheat and warp or crack the head.
there shouldn't be an issue.

Not on my Tacoma...
but I just did a head gasket replacement on my pos dd

Was fairly straight forward...
but then it never overheated neither.

good luck with 'er :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welllllllll. Good news is, it took me under 3 hours to get it all torn apart and stripped.

Bad news (ish?)

Figured out the misfire: this little fucker was in my third cylinder? looks like a tiny ass nail, thought it might be an electrode but I am convinced it is a nail.

Sooo the bad news i suppose is it pitted my piston a tiny bit, not enough to be a serious problem. It also pitted my head a bit but should be able to machined out. I guess I will find out tomorrow when I take the heads into the shop.

Better news, wont need to do an engine replacement because I found 3 sets of heads, all machined and rebuilt on CL soo thatll be nice?

Anyway here is all the important shit since no one probably read that :flipoff4:

Proof it was a headgasket issue

Service Bolts in (6mm Dia 1 mm thread pitch 20 mm long)

terrible pic but you can kinda see where the nail pitted the piston

random other pics:

These things need to be closely ordered, the passenger side is numbered and in order 1 2 3 4 but the drive side exhaust cam is ordered 4 3 2 1

Expensive ass gasket kit and cleaned up and painted parts..bling haha

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
No shit. I take it you find a FSM?

FWIW, I had coolant in the middle of the block like that. That metal pipe (bypass tube) did not have enough FIPG at the water pump. I would take it off and reseal so you don't have an issue in the future. I still have the expensive ass FIPG that is for coolant....

Looks like that knock sensor harness is toast. Mine was too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was gonna check that out tomorrow.

And that harness was garbage, picked up a new one cuz the other one wasnt even worth trying to salvage

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the heads in today. The guy let me hang out in the shop while he looked them over. Showed me alot of cool shit and taught me a few cool things.

Anyways while I was back there he found 3 cracks in my passenger head. So yeah, this repair just got a whole lot more expensive:suicide:

Found a pair of machined heads on CL for decent price, gonna go look tomorrow, they seem legit but I want to look them over quite a bit first.

All three cylinders have cracks like this

Taking over my dads garage im sure he appreciates it:rolleyes:

My truck sits nice without all that weight!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahah glad I can help!

Yeah thats what it would seem like but I have been watching my temp gauge the whole time all paranoid. huh oh well.

Picked up the other heads today from a guy on CL for 300. Theyre in good shape so theyre gonna be bolted right in on Friday.

If only I didnt have to wait until Friday :aahg:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know I thought it was a spark plug electrode too but it had a distinctive nail head on it. The only thing I can think of is it sat in a yard for a while and got in there some how? :confused:

Alright, time to pick your guy's knowledge.

So I picked up the used and very clean heads off the guy on craigslist. After doing my homework I confirmed my suspicions that I will have to check and most likely adjust the valves. The reason for this is that the heads I bought did not come with the shim buckets or valve pucks (whatever you wanna call them). So since I am going to be using the ones from my old heads I assume they will not be just right.

Now to my understanding after reading a few different threads on yotatech and some google searches, also talking with a few machine shops and the stealership; all I need to do to check the clearances is install the cams, turn them until the lobes are facing directly up and stick a feeler gauge under them. If the clearance is off I was told that taking the shims out of the pucks is simply done by prying them out with a knife or small screw driver? Sounds pretty easy but I have never done this type of valve adjustment and spending over $300 at the stealership is out of the question.

So school me on this one guys. I am going to attempt to do this tomorrow night. (YES I will post pics). I have all the shim buckets labeled and numbered so I wont just randomly be placing them around. And if I am correct the Exhaust Cam valves should be around .009 of an inch and the Intake Cam valves should be around .011 of an inch right??

Thanks a bunch I really hope to get my truck done this weekend, driving a Passat is nice for the speed but the ladies really dont seem interested :lmao:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I don't know about the clearance spec, but the process is correct. You can also remove the shims and buckets with a magnet.

It's VERY easy, just very time consuming.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know about the clearance spec, but the process is correct. You can also remove the shims and buckets with a magnet.

It's VERY easy, just very time consuming.
Getting the whole bucket out is pretty easy with a magnet. Im just not sure on the process of getting the shim out of the bucket. It doesnt help that they arent infront or me.

I plan on it taking quite a long time but oh well, after this project I feel confident in every corner of my engine.

Hopefully my math skills arent too rusty

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Want me to e-mail you the file for adjusting the shims?

Spec is:

Intake 0.13 – 0.23 mm (0.006 – 0.009 in.)
Exhaust 0.27 – 0.37 mm (0.011 – 0.014 in.)

I don't think you'll need an SST since you will just have to remove the camshaft

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Cracked heads... damn bud, that sucks. But, shit, what can you do. At least you can do the labor yourself. A luxury that not everyone has.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cracked heads... damn bud, that sucks. But, shit, what can you do. At least you can do the labor yourself. A luxury that not everyone has.
Yeah exactly. Every time I bitch about the cost so far I just remind myself I could be paying Toyota to do this.

Phill: I sent ya a PM.

I realized last night once I complete this job on my truck the only thing I havent done is set up my own gears. Maybe my ring gear will fall apart soon and I can figure that out too:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts