TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday my '99 started having a weird problem with my head lights.
When the switch is in the low beam position the head lights do not come on.
When the high beams are turned on the head lights come on but the bright indicator in the dash does not light up. I am not sure if the low or high beams are actually on because the indicator in the dash never comes on.

Could burned out bulbs cause this?
It would be weird that they both failed at the same time.

I looked at the wiring diagram for the head lights and it shows 1 fuse for right and one for left. The same fuse is used for high or low beam.

There is only 1 relay in the circuit and if it had failed the lights should not work at all.

The only other points of failure I can see are the switch or maybe the bulbs.

Anyone else ever seen the happen or have any other ideas I might try?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Had a freind with a 93 or 94 whos lights went out on high and low you ha to drive down the road holding the switch in the back ( flash ) posistion to have any lights all. I figured this out after borrowing his truck and it got dark on me.

Also mine has lost high beam from time to time. It's not a real big deal to me as I normally only run low beams. It has lasted up to a week or two at a time. then they all the sudden deside to work again.

So back on subject it is likely something in the high/low selector switch, and apears to be fairly comon. I never investigated the troubles with mine all that much as it isn't that important to me to have high beams enough to stop and check it out.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I decided to resurrect this one, as I am having the same problem with my 4runner. Low beams work fine, high beams don't switch on when the lever is locked forward, but will turn on when the lever is held back. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Head lights not functioning properly ...Help!

I have a frustrating problem with my 02. My trailer lights first stop working. Then i had no high beams. Then one day my truck wouldn't start due to a fully drained battery! The right turn signal stuck on and drained the battery.
I decided it might be the turn signal switch so i replaced it and still had no high beams ( $180 !!) I installed new head lights. checked grounds etc. and can't figure it out!! Help this is quite frustrating and i am worried that i might get stranded again in the middle of the winter!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
It looks like ia m not the only one with this problem!! Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Something similar happened to me last night, so to the top with this one.

On my 1998 Tacoma, my headlights would not turn on last night. The parking lights did work. I tried the high beams, and the low beams come on.

So no high beams in high beam position, and no low beams in low beam position. But I do have low beams when in the high beam position. The high beam indicator light never shows on the dash.

I did check the fuses under the dash, as well as the 10amp fuses under the hood. I also checked the headlight relay in the under the hood electrical box.

All worked, and when the fuse/ relay was removed the lights didn't work as you would expect.

Any suggestions or leads to follow?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
dont forget that taco headlights are switched grounds.... they have positive power going to them all the time. when you turn on the switch it engages either the ground for low or ground for hi.... locate which wires operate as grounds at the light plug and try grounding it out to see if suddenly your hi beam indicator comes on, if it does then the break is somewhere between your lever and where it actually engages the relays

·
Registered
29 Posts
when i first got my 95 sometimes when you flipped the headlights on they didnt come on. hit a bump or put the truck on a bind sometimes theyd go off sometimes they wouldnt. really random stuff in between. truck was wired for a brake controller,took it out cuz of the crappy looking wiring hanging everywhere and no more headlight problems!

·
Registered
33 Posts
headlight problem...weird Same Thing!!

Ok, so now MY truck is doing this! SOMEONE has to have fixed it. '01 Taco, no fuses burnt, relay good, both bulbs replaced recently and been working fine, no high beam indicator. What the hell is it??? Thanks!

Something similar happened to me last night, so to the top with this one.

On my 1998 Tacoma, my headlights would not turn on last night. The parking lights did work. I tried the high beams, and the low beams come on.

So no high beams in high beam position, and no low beams in low beam position. But I do have low beams when in the high beam position. The high beam indicator light never shows on the dash.

I did check the fuses under the dash, as well as the 10amp fuses under the hood. I also checked the headlight relay in the under the hood electrical box.

All worked, and when the fuse/ relay was removed the lights didn't work as you would expect.

Any suggestions or leads to follow?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Add me to the list of weird head light issues. I got in the truck to go to work last night and turned on the head lights and nothing but running lights. No low beams or brights, even when holding the lever back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts