TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on whether or not to save up for some headers. I was only wanting to spend max of 650 and thats about what the JBA's are could get TRD or Downey, maybe looking for some grunt down low and a little deeper sound I guess too just a few more ponies. I've not done alot of research on the 4.0's and pro's and con's of their headers but thought I'd ask. After all I DID use the search button. Thought I'd post it here since it's for the 4.0's and not in the performance folder..

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
It depends on what you want, I guess.

In my eyes, spending $650.00 to make the truck louder is not too smart- but it's not my money we're spending here.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 frank. IMO leave it alone. Headers almost always open up a can "O" shit. From leaking flange gaskets to tuning issues, to Smog check problems, take your pick. Plus, they NEVER give you the total amount of HP increase that they claim. Plus, the exhaust on the new tacos flows just fine. Why not just put a cat back system on it? MY:2cents:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really into exhausts that much besides mufflers but isin't the cat back just a muffler with the tubing bent already? Maybe I'm wrong but I work with a guy that's welded for like 35 years he went went to the olimpics for it a while ago and I think me and him can bend the tubes if I get them seperate. and weld them up and everything. I'm not looking to be the loudest and fastest truck on the strreet by anymeans just want a little rumble when getting on it..

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I put JBA headers on my supercharged 3.4 and I would definately recommend them, sound and performance were both improved. Look around, you can find them for less than $650.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ive heard headers really only flow right with a SC truck though, if you are NA it might be a big trash of money. Ive heard members with NA trucks do headers and were pissed off they did so.

very small minority though so I couldnt give you the right opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
While generally headers do allow the engine to breath a little easier the bang you get for the buck depends a lot on how constricted the exhaust system is with what you have or intend to have.

For stock trucks the factory has already done much to extract as much available power as they can with what they can do within economic constraints. Common sense says that unless you've done something to force more air into the engine then there is not as much to be gained by increasing exhaust flow. Some yes, a lot no.

I'd say that unless you have invested in forced induction then there is not a lot of bang for the buck to be had.

Headers can be designed to be more effective for HP increases or to get more torque. Both torque and HP tend to increase with any header design but those that have all the tubes collect into one big collector tend work more toward HP increases while the tri-Y type or bi-Y for a V6, designs tend to be better for torque increase. Of course anyone can do a shitty job either way so the less you pay for the header you can probably count on less engineering going into the design. As with anything, it's a little more involved than just sticking some exhaust tubing together with a welder and hoping for luck to see you through.

If you do decide to get headers there are some things you want to consider.

One of those and probably the most important, is the thickness of the exhaust flanges. If they are thin, they will warp and not stay sealed so will become a constant pain in the ass. This is exacerbated with our engines because exhaust leaks ahead of the O2 sensor and cat will upset the ECU, driving it nuts and costing you even more money. Get headers with thick, well machined flanges that will stay torqued down and leak free or you will be truly sorry later on.

A second consideration is the way the cross over is done and off roading. Some build the cross over by going under the engine. This can sometimes be a problem if you do a lot of off roading as there is just that much more hanging down there to be damaged. Sometimes the cross under tube can also interfere with servicing things like clutches etc.. If you do get cross under tube set of headers you should look into these two things.

The only headers that I know of that have a cross over than passes over the top are the TRD headers. The ones I have one my 95.5 3.4L are fairly well made, thick flanges, stainless steel etc. but they were overly expensive IMHO. TRD generally tends to be higher priced than almost all other aftermarket brands and much of it is just for the label. Some have said they they were not pleased with the quality of TRD headers so things may have changed since I bought mine, probably the first set of retail TRD headers installed in the country.
I do know that due to the crossover going over and behind, the TRDs are harder to install and be leak free. That means so some extra effort is required in the installation and additional installation cost.
All headers seem to be on the PITA end to install but for the TRDs you will definably want access to a lift. After watching the lift go up and down for mine about 16 times, I can imagine that trying to install TRD headers with a floor jack and jack stands out in your driveway could possibly lead to a broken home, a nervous breakdown, throwing several outrageous fits involving flying tools etc. That said, paying someone to do it who will guarantee their work to be leak free may be worth some consideration but it will surly add to the cost.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i remember someone here saying that they had trouble with the 02 sensors with the JBA brand headers.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I put JBA headers on my supercharged 3.4 and I would definately recommend them, sound and performance were both improved. Look around, you can find them for less than $650.
You're seeing 98% of your performance gains due to the supercharger, not the headers. One of the biggest reasons superchargers work so well is force feeding. IE: 10 pounds of shit in a 2 pound bag, thus creating higher cylinder pressures during the compression/combustion phase. The other reason they work so well is boost helps to clear the cylinder of spent exhaust during the cam overlap phase, when both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. This is where you get the added 2% from headers. All you are doing is removing the restriction and allowing the spent gasses to flow. But you are not seeing the benefit of scavenging that most headers provide, due to the fact that the force feeding effect of the supercharger overcomes the scavenging effect of the header. Headers are a bigger benefit on NA engines due to this scavenging effect. They create a vaccuum that helps to clear the cylinder and draw additional intake charge into the engine during the next intake cycle. Headers on NA engines do help, but they are more beneficial when other mods are employed. Also, when you start modding a stock factory tuned engine, you open up a big can of shit. These NA late model engines make the best reliable HP given current fuel quality. Now put a factory designed and tuned supercharger system on it and get the absolute best performance available, but expect shorter component lifespan also. Horsepower is NEVER free, it always comes at a price.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You're seeing 98% of your performance gains due to the supercharger, not the headers. One of the biggest reasons superchargers work so well is force feeding. IE: 10 pounds of shit in a 2 pound bag, thus creating higher cylinder pressures during the compression/combustion phase. The other reason they work so well is boost helps to clear the cylinder of spent exhaust during the cam overlap phase, when both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. This is where you get the added 2% from headers. All you are doing is removing the restriction and allowing the spent gasses to flow. But you are not seeing the benefit of scavenging that most headers provide, due to the fact that the force feeding effect of the supercharger overcomes the scavenging effect of the header. Headers are a bigger benefit on NA engines due to this scavenging effect. They create a vaccuum that helps to clear the cylinder and draw additional intake charge into the engine during the next intake cycle. Headers on NA engines do help, but they are more beneficial when other mods are employed. Also, when you start modding a stock factory tuned engine, you open up a big can of shit. These NA late model engines make the best reliable HP given current fuel quality. Now put a factory designed and tuned supercharger system on it and get the absolute best performance available, but expect shorter component lifespan also. Horsepower is NEVER free, it always comes at a price.:2cents:
i think he nows this,he has the s/c and had it before he installed the headers/muffler combo.plus more power can be found in the tuning with the headers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can not find TRD headers for the 4.0 they are not on the site http://www.trdusa.comand the guys at the dealership do not know if TRD is making them yet. Also if any of you believe that the stock exhaust is flowing to it's potential I would say you are a retard. one look at the stock manifold and you will see. BTW there are a total of four cats and the O2sensors are in between. All of which are keeping your power numbers down

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I can not find TRD headers for the 4.0 they are not on the site http://www.trdusa.comand the guys at the dealership do not know if TRD is making them yet. Also if any of you believe that the stock exhaust is flowing to it's potential I would say you are a retard. one look at the stock manifold and you will see. BTW there are a total of four cats and the O2sensors are in between. All of which are keeping your power numbers down
I can sure agree that the exhaust manifold on the 4.0 is a slow looking thing for sure.

The size... The way it's shaped... I don't like it at all.

BUT- That 4.0 is one running mother, isn't it?

The guys that designed it really knew their shit.

They got the crankshaft just right.

They got the pistons just right.

They got the cams just right.

They got the valves just right.

They got the ignition system just right.

They got the fuel injection just right.

But boy did they ever fuck up on the exhaust! (Sarcasm)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Yeah but if you loose the rear cats and you live in a smog state then you are screwed.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I can sure agree that the exhaust manifold on the 4.0 is a slow looking thing for sure.

The size... The way it's shaped... I don't like it at all.

BUT- That 4.0 is one running mother, isn't it?

The guys that designed it really knew their shit.

They got the crankshaft just right.

They got the pistons just right.

They got the cams just right.

They got the valves just right.

They got the ignition system just right.

They got the fuel injection just right.

But boy did they ever fuck up on the exhaust! (Sarcasm)
:rofl:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Now put a factory designed and tuned supercharger system on it and get the absolute best performance available, but expect shorter component lifespan also.
Not according to Gadget f/ Underdog Racing Development. A large part of his business is the fuel upgrades to really make the 3.4 TRD supercharger kick butt.

But anyways, I have had vehicles with headers, along with all the other supposed bolt-on horsepowers increasers (intakes, programmers, ignition upgrades). I went through this on several vehicles, spent a lot of Dineros, and opened up many can-o-worms with a bunch of mods. I won't go through that again w/ my 4 liter toy.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Not according to Gadget f/ Underdog Racing Development. A large part of his business is the fuel upgrades to really make the 3.4 TRD supercharger kick butt.

But anyways, I have had vehicles with headers, along with all the other supposed bolt-on horsepowers increasers (intakes, programmers, ignition upgrades). I went through this on several vehicles, spent a lot of Dineros, and opened up many can-o-worms with a bunch of mods. I won't go through that again w/ my 4 liter toy.
Yeah, nothing is free. X2 mine is staying stock:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Better yet, BigBadYoda, put the money into a suspension mod. Get some nice coilovers for the front, just don't lift them above 2 inches so its not too stiff a ride. Though I'm no longer into modifying my late model engine, I'm definitely a big believer in that you can't go wrong with better shocks and with better tires.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
ive heard headers really only flow right with a SC truck though, if you are NA it might be a big trash of money. Ive heard members with NA trucks do headers and were pissed off they did so.

very small minority though so I couldnt give you the right opinion.
what he said.

factory exhaust is fine until you have a good reason to flow more air... for example a supercharger.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah but if you loose the rear cats and you live in a smog state then you are screwed.
I do live in a smog county, so I don't want to lose the rear cats. Does anybody know if it will pass emissions test with out the front cats; assuming I can make it run by relocating the O2 sensors.:saw:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts