TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today when i did my compression test i had some weird(maybe) results and wanted to get your guys' opinion. Father in law is helping me later but i want to ask someone now :p.

First off when cranking the motor water is blowing out of cyl 3. ( assuming 1 in the closest to front of truck). I kinda expected that. My compression readings were as follows.
1) 120lbs
2) 45lbs
3) 190lbs(also blowing water out)
4) 190lbs

So my question is what the *&%^?? Its a 99tacoma 2.7L, what should it be reading? Is this indicative of a diffrent issue or typical for a blown head gasket. There is no water in the oil at all. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So today when i did my compression test i had some weird(maybe) results and wanted to get your guys' opinion. Father in law is helping me later but i want to ask someone now :p.

First off when cranking the motor water is blowing out of cyl 3. ( assuming 1 in the closest to front of truck). I kinda expected that. My compression readings were as follows.
1) 120lbs
2) 35lbs
3) 190lbs(also blowing water out)
4) 190lbs

So my question is what the *&%^?? Its a 99tacoma 2.7L, what should it be reading? Is this indicative of a diffrent issue or typical for a blown head gasket. There is no water in the oil at all. Thanks in advance.
i would have to guess it burned a valve and possibly cracked the head
#2 cylinder is fuuuuuuuuuuucked

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay.....
so what makes you think a valve burned up and the head cracked. If the head was cracked wouldnt there be water in the oil. Im trying to learn here... can you at least explain why you think that???

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
burning a valve is very very common on a 2.7 ....the fact you have water in your combustion chamber along with an EXTREMELY low compression makes me believe the head is cracked....see it all the time at work....you wont know for sure until you pull the head...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just out of curiosity... how is your fuel mileage (how has it been recently?) I've had shitty mileage that is seemingly unexplainable and I'm trying to diagnose without rippin things apart... Reason I ask is that I have a 98 2.7L as well...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Sounds like my old 2.7L engine. I had about 5 cracks in the head. I junked it and swapped in a used engine.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I would pull the head off and go have it checked, cause it maybe cracked but you can't see the crack. This happened to timberwolf on here we thought he just had a blown head gasket and just replaced the gasket but it didn't fix the problem then he took it off again and had it checked and the head was cracked.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just now saw this, and yes, mine was cracked. I had it dye tested the first time off, and the guy was supposed to pressure test it also. He didn't. The second time, I took it to a different head shop, and they found the crack right away. Also, if you do this job, order new head bolts. The old ones will be stretched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts