TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Death Valley, the Furnace Creek area with the family. Will be trying to find some nice areas to get a little off roading. When I get back, I will post some pics. Happy Turkey Day to all.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Have a great time! Two big lessons I learned on my trip there:
1) Just because you can't see/feel yourself sweating doesn't mean you aren't. I was dehydrating myself to dizziness without realizing it because I didn't feel as though I was sweating. As soon as I got back into the car, I began POURING sweat. Turns out I was evaporating the sweat so fast that I never actually got wet. DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
2) The only gas option in Death Valley is 87-ish octane unleaded. It's pricey, too.
3) Superchargers really *do* only like supreme fuel. (I thought my transmission was failing me on the way out of the park, and I was worried about the hike we were going to have to make back to civilization. Fortunately, it limped to the next gas station and was fine after another fill-up of the good stuff.)

Have a great trip, and happy Thanksgiving!
-Radar

·
Registered
71 Posts
Second that on the fuel! It was like $6 a gallon at Furnace Creek last time we were there! I carry 12 gallons in on my topside tank any time I go there. I'll be damned if I am giving the communist commonwealth of Cali that kind of money for a fill up! :eek::eek:

Have fun and be safe! It was COLD this time last year when I was out there.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A fun off road trip, which is easy to get to from Furnace Creek, is Titus Canyon - good for the whole family, scenic, remote. Lots of stuff to see along the way. Plus, you can visit the ghost town of Rhyolite NV before the run (and a few more miles east, is Beatty, NV, with cheap gas and supplies).

If you wander very far from Furnace Creek or Stovepipe, you might want to consider bringing a dump can or two.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camped at Furnace creek and the trip was awesome. No breakdowns...mostly due to no real off roading since it was a big family trip.
Went to a ghost town and to Racetrack Playa and some hikes in various mountains. Great great weather, 80 in the day, 55 at night.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It's good to see that they at least have premium fuel now. Even if the price does stink.

Never ever go to Death Valley without at least 15 gallons of extra fuel and about as much fluid per person depending on how long you plan to stay. Even if you don't use it yourself you're likely to run across some fool out there with an empty tank. I usually do.
People do all kinds of stupid crap in Death Valley. I guess they don't know enough to take the name seriously but they should. Somehow they seem to loose the ability to read and to think. You're also almost guarenteed to see at least one fool in a 2WD street car which shredded tires on the way to Race Track.

A fun off road trip, which is easy to get to from Furnace Creek, is Titus Canyon - good for the whole family, scenic, remote. Lots of stuff to see along the way. Plus, you can visit the ghost town of Rhyolite NV before the run (and a few more miles east, is Beatty, NV, with cheap gas and supplies).

If you wander very far from Furnace Creek or Stovepipe, you might want to consider bringing a dump can or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts