TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace my headlight bulbs with a 55w/ 100w bulbs. Would this be too much for the wiring or the lens housing to handle. I'd like to go this route rather than adding additional offroad lights to the front for now. I've also kicked around the idea of replacing the fog light bulbs with som 100w. Has anyone here done these mods?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Better to add lights so you don't blind other people in normal pavement driving. Then you don't worry about that kind of thing and you're legal into the bargain.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
X2 or x3 on what Dick said...But if you really want to go the route of higher wattage bulbs it really depends on what year you truck is. I had 90/130's in my old '84 for about 5 years..YES I got flashed all the time. I took the Hella housing out of the '84 to mount the in my '97. Thought it was great till I ended up having to rewire the wiring on the '97 since it just melted the sheeet out of the wires. They used a lot heavier gauge wiring earlier (like 14ga) versus the 18 ga on my '97...the wiring on my '05 seems like 22ga or something. Painless wiring or some other vendor..(suvlights.com) probably has a wiring kit to help alleviate issues of drawing too many amps. you might find some good info in this thread:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54344&highlight=headlight+harness
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23637&highlight=headlight+harness
looks like the same thread, but are different...

ok just noticed that you posted this in the '05 folder...upgrade your wiring if you increase the wattage of your bulbs...or you will smell a cool burning smell...the factory foglight wiring will not handle 100W bulbs, i tried to use it to hook up a set of PIAA's...fuse blew as soon as I turned them on...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Better to add lights so you don't blind other people in normal pavement driving. Then you don't worry about that kind of thing and you're legal into the bargain.
That is the considerate route. People flash me because of my PIAA light bulbs a lot. On the other hand any high end car (ex BMW, Cadillacs, etc) with HIDs is a lot worse and those really blind people. Thats my :2cents:

C

·
0 Posts
I have PIAA H4 bulbs in my headlights. They are a brigher and cleaner light, they are DOT approved. I dont get flashed with my low beams on. They are a big improvement over stock headlamps. They do not require ANY modifications to the vehicle at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The PIAA H4 lights work well and are a huge improvement over stock. My truck is taller and the lights get a lot of flashing by other drivers. The down side is they didn’t last long I think it was because they are so high intensity they just burnt out fast. Sylvania silver stars are good replacements the ultra ones are good clear white light I would recommend them.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
ryah said:
I'd like to replace my headlight bulbs with a 55w/ 100w bulbs. Would this be too much for the wiring or the lens housing to handle. I'd like to go this route rather than adding additional offroad lights to the front for now. I've also kicked around the idea of replacing the fog light bulbs with som 100w. Has anyone here done these mods?
Stick with new headlight bulbs and pay attention not to use your highbeams with oncoming traffic. Your existing harness will be ok.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not worried about people flashing me, as I stated I'd keep the 55w low beam. I don't drive with the highbeams on, except in the desert. I just wanted to know if 100watt bulbs would be pushing the wiring harness to the point of melting or if the light housing would melt from the additional heat. I'm not an inconsiderate driver, I wouldn't be driving with the high beams on against oncoming traffic. I ran this combo in my 87 4runner for years without a problem. Just want to see if the 2005 would handle this mod also.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
taco23 said:
Check out the bulbs at powerbulbs.com
I second that. I run their bulbs in my Taco, my dads Taco, my jeep, and my fiances subaru.

C

·
0 Posts
ryah said:
I'm not worried about people flashing me, as I stated I'd keep the 55w low beam. I don't drive with the highbeams on, except in the desert. I just wanted to know if 100watt bulbs would be pushing the wiring harness to the point of melting or if the light housing would melt from the additional heat. I'm not an inconsiderate driver, I wouldn't be driving with the high beams on against oncoming traffic. I ran this combo in my 87 4runner for years without a problem. Just want to see if the 2005 would handle this mod also.
Look at the H4 Extreme specifications. This is what I am running.

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
ryah said:
You'll be fine. I've used the PIAA Extremes Whites for years (low beam=65watt----high beam=135watt) on my '99 and no problems. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Old topic but I'll give my :2cents:

In my 2002 tacoma, I have been using the HL78159 (100 high/80 low) bulbs from www.rallylights.com for 2 years and I never did upgrade my wiring. You'll see a very significant difference with these bulbs compared to stock. They ship quick, prices are very reasonable and customer service is top notch. They also have the hyper bulbs which is similar to what vehicles in Europe are using. Those bulbs come in (70/65w) and (85/80w).

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been running the Hella 55/100s for a year now in this truck and ran the 80/100s for years in my 95 Taco. No problems other than they don't last quite as long; I carry a spare bulb in the tool box.

The 55watt low is the normal bulb so no issues there, you will see a difference with the high beams though. Running high beams is illegal no matter what you have in there and you're going to get flashed either way so just be careful to cut them off when traffic approaches. With the 80watts in my old Taco, I just made doubly sure that they were correctly adjusted so that they didn't throw any more light outward- the Hella replacement light housings had better cut off than the factory lights too (early Tacos had sealed beams).

The factory fog lights seem pretty cheap to me with the bulbs fairly close to the plastic lenses- I'd be a little nervous about upgrading the bulbs in them myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts