TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! My Tacoma's heating system isn't up to snuff. Specifically the temperature of the heat. The fan speed is good but it seems like the fan is blowing through the heater core so much that it cools it down. I just had the head gasket recall done last year. I had to put in a new radiator, cap, and thermostat also. Even though the opertaing temp is good the heat still doesnt blow very warm. I'm not sure if the blend door is acting up or what. I've also got a little air in the system. I tried burping the system by raising the front end and running it with the cap off. Unfortunately It was too cool that day for the engine to get warm enough so I got impatient. Anyhow, if anyone has this same problem or remedy I would appreciate a post.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Try flushing your heater core separately. At least, that will tell you if it is clogged or leaking.

·
Registered
469 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
I've also got a little air in the system.
I'd bet this is your problem. In all the cars I've fooled around with, the heater blowing cold is the first thing to let you know that the coolant level is low. I think that's what yours is doing, especially since you have just replaced the thermostat not too long ago.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
if the coolant isnt low, see if the cable that operates the heater(underhood on firewall)
opens the heater valve/hose all the way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My coolant level is fine, and I used the factory thermostat. I'll have to wait till it gets warmer here to burp the system of air. The water valve seems to be functioning properly. Sometimes when I jiggle the HOT/COLD switch it seems to help. It seems to be the worse when its really really cold. When its in the 50's its not too bad. I'm kinda stumped....

·
Registered
264 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
I've also got a little air in the system. I tried burping the system by raising the front end and running it with the cap off. Unfortunately It was too cool that day for the engine to get warm enough so I got impatient. Anyhow, if anyone has this same problem or remedy I would appreciate a post.
The air in your system is the entire problem. The heater hoses are a high point in the system. You will have to run the engine with the cap off and the heater on full blast to get all the air out. Jacking up the front of the truck while doing this may be necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
at least your damn heater works. my ac/heater went out a few weeks ago- wont turn on at all. anyone know what i can do?
its not like my truck is old either, a 2000 with 45k on it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldnt running the heat on full blast just cool down the whole system? I would think it to be a better idea to turn the heat all the way hot and not run the blower motor. I tried jacking up the front and running it for a while. It never burped though. I think it was too cool that day and the engine never reached full operating temp. I just need to wait till spring or a warmer day I guess. That just sucks though cause I wont need the heat then. I'll continue looking in to it. :confused:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
I think it was too cool that day and the engine never reached full operating temp. :confused:
Unless you live at the north or south pole, your engine will reach operating temp, it'll obviously take a bit longer if you're just letting it do so at idle. It's gotta be mega cold for it not too.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I let it run for about an hour reving the engine occassionaly. I guess the air is in a difficult spot. I can hear it more so on a warm day when I punch the gas. That gurgling noise mocking me from under dash is pissing me off. :mad:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hmmmm, never seen one refuse to burp, even when run on a level surface if it's got air in it. You might try a vacuum evacuator on the system.
Are you sure the heater valve is opening?
I'd do a little more troubleshooting on the heater flow control valve.
There's a shut-off valve that controls the heater flow mounted in the center top of the firewall (at least on my 99), I would check to see if it's actually opening. You can check it quickly by running the truck to norm temp, turn the heater control to full hot, after a few minutes check the outlet side to ensure it's hot/warm indicating it has flow.
If it isnt as warm as the heater hoses on both sides of the valve thats your problem, if it is as warm then you need to look at a possibly clogged heater core, or one of the under dash valves not operating.

Tim

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you try to burp it again, instead of letting it idle for an hour why not just drive it around until it gets up to temp? I'm sure this would take a lot less time than just letting it idle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
Wouldnt running the heat on full blast just cool down the whole system? I would think it to be a better idea to turn the heat all the way hot and not run the blower motor.
You can do what you want, but the way I described would get the air out and solve your problem. :p

WILD YOTE said:
I just need to wait till spring or a warmer day I guess. That just sucks though cause I wont need the heat then. I'll continue looking in to it. :confused:
You can wait until spring or continue looking into it, or you could just run it with the cap off and the heater on full blast to get the air out. hint-hint. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
That gurgling noise mocking me from under dash is pissing me off. :mad:
Mine always makes a gurgling noise from behind the dash when I turn my heater on but mine heats my truck like I'm in hell. Should I be concerned about the gurgling noise? I'm trying to make a list of issues before my 36k mile warranty is up.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The gurgling usually means that there is air in the heater core. Nothing to get your pantys in a wad for but if it bothers you that much have the dealer burp it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts