·
Registered
3,221 Posts
water drainage

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Hope someone can answer this for me.

I have a light hoop that requires the aux lights to be hung under the hoop.

So I am looking at getting some Hella 4000's but the manufacturers lists the mounting position for these lights as • Upright

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/rallye-4000-series/rallye-4000-black/

So the question is... can they be mounted upside down?
If yes, any concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks
wow, never new the 4ks were one sided like that (yea, they only mount one way according to the install sheet). You'd think over the # of years these things have been on the market they would have changed the design to be able to rotate the lens w/in the housing...like damn-near every other light in this quality range...go figure. ...sucks, because they are great lights.

Looks like you'll need to check out the other brands.
I also imagine you have a size limit as well so keep that in mind when shopping.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Hope someone can answer this for me.

I have a light hoop that requires the aux lights to be hung under the hoop.

So I am looking at getting some Hella 4000's but the manufacturers lists the mounting position for these lights as • Upright

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/rallye-4000-series/rallye-4000-black/

So the question is... can they be mounted upside down?
If yes, any concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks
good question. the Hella site mounting ins. will not load so I can't read them
but, in their faq section:

9. Can I mount my lamps upside down?
Most Hella pendant style aftermarket lamp kits are designed to be mounted either above or below the bracket. To mount these lamps upside down, the lens/reflector assembly will need to be rotated 180° to keep the proper alignment of the beam pattern. This can easily be done by loosening the front mounting ring and rotating the lens/reflector assembly before re-tightening. The beam pattern will be noticeably better if this step is taken.

there may be a significant difference between the cast metal housings and the plastic ones :confused:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've had 4000's on 2 cars/trucks plus a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure the lens can be rotated. And nothing to drain, they're sealed units.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I've had 4000's on 2 cars/trucks plus a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure the lens can be rotated. And nothing to drain, they're sealed units.
no, the lens assembly is not sealed...notice that when you insert the bulb ;)
the lens should be able to be rotated so the beam pattern remains the same when mounted up, down or sideways.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, the lens assembly is not sealed...notice that when you insert the bulb ;)
the lens should be able to be rotated so the beam pattern remains the same when mounted up, down or sideways.
No lens pattern, I plan on getting the new FF http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaUSA/WebSite/Channels/Drivers/Products/Performance_Lighting/Rallye4000/Rallye4000_FF/Rallye4000_FF.jsp

so the way I understand it the pattern is achieved through the reflector not the lens. I plan on doing a HID upgrade after I get them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The hella 4000 can be mounted upside down, On the ring you will see 4 hex head screw, remove that and you can rotate the glass to fit your mounting needs.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
The hella 4000 can be mounted upside down, On the ring you will see 4 hex head screw, remove that and you can rotate the glass to fit your mounting needs.
that sounds normal for this type of light and agrees with the mounting inst. pics. However, they don't tell you you can do this :rolleyes: stupid instructions...

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sounds normal for this type of light and agrees with the mounting inst. pics. However, they don't tell you you can do this :rolleyes: stupid instructions...
Found out the hard way Hella 007560361 http://www.autobarn.net/hella-007560361.html?site=google_base driving light can NOT be mounted upside down. The housing has the weep hole at the bottom near the mounting platform, so turning bezel 180 does nothing. Actually on this model you can not even turn the bezel because they built a tab onto the bezel that will only allow it to line up with the weep hole.

Guess I am drilling the bumper :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts