TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I just bought hella 500's for my truck, I am looking and trying to figure out how these directions work. They are so fricken inconsistent. I have a couple questions. Why does the switch it came with have 3 prongs on it when it only gives you two leads for the switch? Do you have to hook them up to co-inside with your high beams? Where do all the wires they give you hook into?

Anyone install these things before? HELP!!!
:eek:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
its easy,
the switch has 3 progs becasue it has a light in it, one ground, 2 to the relay i believe (can't remember.. i used my own switches)

you plug the wires into the relay, and you don't have to use the lights with your highbeams that is just a option they give you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you dont want to use them with the highbeams, then where do you put the lead they give you to hook into the highbeams?

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
bmw678 said:
if you dont want to use them with the highbeams, then where do you put the lead they give you to hook into the highbeams?
Instead of tapping into the high beams (requires high beams to be "hot" in order to use lights)

You can use a mini fuse tap and connect to the 12V accessory fuse - that way
you can only use the lights with the key in the ignition

- Others have tapped into the parking light

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Now you know why they are called Hella.HELLAVA lot of issues with their instructions. 2 things. The connectors they supply already on the wire were useless to me. So dang loose, I was getting and losing power like crazy. Cut them off and install your own good connectors. 2nd, before doing a final wire up, wire it up and test it before you do the install. Get a bunch of fuses, as when you're wrong, pop goes the fuse. I found their relay diagram was wrong, but the diagram ON THE RELAY was correct. You need to know a little electrical; for this to help out. So, to the switch, you need hot power, a switch leg, and a ground. This hot power is separate from the switch leg(which is the lead you can tap to your headlights). I skipped the headlight tap. Too much of a bother.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You do have to realize that this is Hella's cheap line. The 500's are a great light for the price.

If you hook up the 12v switching wire to the high beams you never have to worry about turning them off when you go back to low beams. In order to aim them I suggest that you just hook the wire up to the battery so no seeing the high beam pattern at the same time.

If you hook up the 12v switching wire to the parking lights you never have to worry about turning them off because they will go off when you turn the key off atleast in my 04 they do and open the door, makes it easier to aim too because you don't have to have the high beams on too.

Personally my favorite way of doing it is splicing the battery lead to the triggering source also and use a ground source inside to the switch so that you never have to worry about a positive wire getting grounded out. If you do that you will have to put a 12volt wire on the middle lead of the switch or you won't have a light when the switch is on. Its alot easier to find a ground than it is a 12v source.

You could even use a combination of the two and have the positive wire going to the relay from the relay and use the ground as the switching source as in the above paragraph.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just installed some Hella 500's a couple of weeks ago. They're already trashed cuz some idot hit my truck when it was parked. Anyway, I had never installed lights before and thought the diagram was intimidating. Go to their website and they have a slightly better on. It's not really that hard. The 3 prongs on the switch are for, a ground wire(blue one), one wire to the relay(yellow) and you need a "hot wire" to make the switch light up and for the whole system to work. Yeah don't skip the hot wire or it won't work. Took me a while to figue that one out. You can either use the green wire(as the hot wire) they supplied in the box and tap into your parking lights to get power or do like I did and just attach it directly to the battery. I actually used another fused wire for that. If you connect it directly to the battery it's easier to install and you can turn the lights on w/o turing your parking lights on. Other than that just follow the diagram for the rest of the lights and you're good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a lot guys, i got that diagram off of hella's web site. i wonder why they couldnt have just used that in the box. yeah after using that diagram it was a lot easier.

·
Registered
231 Posts
bmw678 said:
thanks a lot guys, i got that diagram off of hella's web site. i wonder why they couldnt have just used that in the box. yeah after using that diagram it was a lot easier.

Do you have a link to that diagram.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since you guys are talking about switching with high beams, I use a on/off/on switch so I get the best of both worlds. Got them wired with leds for indecation. I also have two sets one driving clear and one amber fog. I use the lights more than the horn.
Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wired mine with a on/off/on switch as well. That way I can run them in conjunction with my hi beams,or with the parking lights. I normally just run them with my hi beams they help out on long drives.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Anyone have the dummy instructions for just using them in conjuction with the high-beams?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BajaRnr12 said:
Anyone have the dummy instructions for just using them in conjuction with the high-beams?
the link above should work. i have the ones that came with the lights, i can email it to you if you want. let me know if you need them. they arent very good instructions.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
bmw678 said:
the link above should work. i have the ones that came with the lights, i can email it to you if you want. let me know if you need them. they arent very good instructions.
Awesome, I wasn't sure if the instructions that came with the lights were for splicing into the high beams or not, cuz that's all I need to be able to do. Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ok, so for those of us who just can't seem to do anything like this with pictures or something liek that. Does anyone have a set-by-step process of installing these Hella 500's. I would ideally like to just hook the lights up to the battery and use the switch as the lone source of control. I don;t need them to work in conjunction of the high beams or parking lights. Would like to just be able to turn them on/off when ever I please by using the switch. Does anyone have a broken down version of the install for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone got photos of thier trucks with these lights installed? I wanna get an idea of where y'all got them mounted and how good they look on the truck.

I had a pair on my VW Rabbit a long time ago to supplement the shitty sealed beams. The Taco is the first Vehicle I've had since then with sealed beams and they SUCK!

·
Registered
72 Posts
hellas

1 - 20 of 38 Posts