TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved my Hella 500 driving lights from my safari bar to my bumper. When I first disconnected the lights, I first removed the fuse. I took the lamps off the bar, disconnected the power and ground wires to each lamp, moved the wires up through the grill, mounted the lights to the bumper, and connected the wires to the lamps. When disconnecting the wires, I kept the positive and negative wires to the left lamp separate from the right lamp to make sure I rewired them correctly, which I have triple checked. I reinstalled the fuse. When I turn the key over and hit the switch, the lights come on for a second, and then the fuse blows. What can be the problem? The only wires that were removed during relocation were the two wires connected to each lamp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
can't tell with out seeing it personally, but the only thing I can think of is that you have something grounded where it shouldn't be, maybe a pinched wire has rubbed through it's insulation or something.

·
Registered
951 Posts
didja move the wires on the relay at all? I had a problem during installation similar to yours and I found that the wiring diagram did not accurately portray the actual pinouts..

Boheefus

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boheefus said:
didja move the wires on the relay at all? I had a problem during installation similar to yours and I found that the wiring diagram did not accurately portray the actual pinouts..

Boheefus

Nope. The wires going into the relay and switch were never touched. The only wires that were removed and reconnected were the ones connected directly to the lights.

·
Registered
951 Posts
didja accidentally flip them? another good point to check is to make sure that the bare positive connector is not touching the grounded ring on the back of the lense housing where the ground strap ties in

Boheefus

·
Registered
47 Posts
which fuse? An inline fuse with the lights or the accessory sourse of power for the relay?

It is possible you crossed or touched the + and - together when you were doing something and killed the relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hella 500 Blown Fuse???

Let me make sure I have this right. you relocated the lights using the same wire and same relay. As soon as you turn it on the lights go on for a second and then the fuse blows?

This sounds more like the circuit is over loaded then a crossed wire. I had the same problem with my truck when I wired something wrong. The load was too heavy so the fuse blew. upgraded the wires and fuse feeding the relay worked for me..

a quick test is to disconnect the lights positive feed from the relay. Turn the light switch on and make sure you hear the relay click on. then one at a time hook up each light and see which one is possibly blowing the fuse. if they both work then hook them up together. if it blows with both hooked up you may be drawing too much for the fuse.

What amp rating is the fuse?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the ideas. I haven't had time to try out all your suggestions. Tonight when I get home, I'm going to try the following:

1. inspect all wires for damage
2. make sure the power and ground wires aren't touching in the light assembly
3. connect one light at a time to see which is blowing the fuse

For those that asked, the fuse is 15 amps.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boheefus said:
ggod luck on that and let us know how it all comes out

Boheefus

Well, it looked like the problem was caused by the power and ground wires touching each other within the plastic housing. I pulled the lights out of the housings, and let them dangle. Put a new fuse in, turned the key over, and hit the switch and they lit up. Therefore, I taped the power line connection so it wouldn't touch the ground connection. I never thought of checking this, since when I originally installed them, I just wired them up, and put them in the housing without any problems. Thanks to all that helped!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts