TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been around for a little while and wanted to introduce myself and say Hi to everyone. My name is Todd and I have a 2004 Tacoma DC 4x4. I've been slowly getting her put together over the place couple of years.

I like to get muddy, striper fishing and hitting the trails on my XR400 when I get free time. My other free time goes into restoring a 1962 23' aluminum cabin cruiser. I like vintage aluminum boats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture of my Tacoma.

I've added Stubbswelding Sliders, ARB Front Bumper, Retro Landcruiser grill mod.

Things you can't see are the Rear Differential Breather Extension and the Keyless Entry Mod. I also like to carry a bed extender in my toolbox. I picked it up at HarborFreight and cut it to fit in the ToolBox. It fits in Hitch Receiver to carry lumber and long loads. Very handy for a short bed truck. I also have my Hi-Lift Jack mounted to my toolbox.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Welcome to TTORA! I see that you're just up the road from me.

That's a nice clean truck you have there.

Be sure to check out our newly-forming Arkansas chapter at http://ar-ttora.com.

Hope to see you on the trails :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to the board man!! Always good to see more Arkansans sign on :D .

Go Hogs!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey welcome man good to see another Arkansasan joining on in. I think I've even seen your truck around town....nice truck. Keep in touch and I'll see you around.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Welcome! Glad another Arkansawian has joined up. Be sure to follow the link Josh attached. We need as many new members as possible. Spread the word to your fellow Toyota brethren. I like the grill mod, more info. would be appreciated.

Oh, and btw, I have some AR TTORA stickers if you are interested. Just let me know.

Later.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another Arkansas 06 Tacoma owner here. I don't get on the trails much so my offroading is confined to hunting, fishing etc. Good to know several Arkies are around.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Simsc, you'll have to plan to join us on our next excurstion to Hot Springs. We usually have a blast!

I'll give you the same info. Go to the ar-ttora.com site, and get signed up. And, if you are interested in a sticker, let me know. They are $4.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's a question for the rest of you. I recently installed an ARB bumper on my 06 TRD and will probably need to upgrade the front suspension. After a great deal of research and reading I think coilovers will be the way to go. I am not looking for a lift just support and possibly leveling. Where in AR can I purchase SAWs or Donahoes at a fair price?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Here's a question for the rest of you. I recently installed an ARB bumper on my 06 TRD and will probably need to upgrade the front suspension. After a great deal of research and reading I think coilovers will be the way to go. I am not looking for a lift just support and possibly leveling. Where in AR can I purchase SAWs or Donahoes at a fair price?
My buddy Jay and I are working on becoming a Donahoe distributor. We need only one or two more pieces of the puzzle, and we'll be ready to go. If you aren't needing them immediately, we can work something out. I put my ARB on a few weeks ago, and I am ready to upgrade from the OME 881's. We are waiting on a license back from AR, and then we should be good. I'll keep you posted, that is if you can wait a few weeks.

Let me know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Keep me posted. I am going with the stock suspension for a while, but I may be in the market this summer. As I said I am not looking to lift the truck as it is my daily driver and a family transport vehicle as well; however, I may need to beef up the suspension for the bumper. Thanks and I will be watching.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Keep me posted. I am going with the stock suspension for a while, but I may be in the market this summer. As I said I am not looking to lift the truck as it is my daily driver and a family transport vehicle as well; however, I may need to beef up the suspension for the bumper. Thanks and I will be watching.
You most definitely will want to beef up the suspension for the bumper. Now, whether you want to go coilovers is another issue. OME 882's are also a good option w/o the Donahoe price tag. But, we'll see what we can find for you. One thing for sure, Toyota's have plenty of options. Hey, you might as well go for the lift and a little bigger tire, cause you know you want to be able to see what the rig can do ; )

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well this is an 06 Dbl Cab TRD and according to the guys at Toyota of Dallas the OME 884s probably would be the best option with around 1.5" lift. I may eventually want to lift the truck, but for now I am happy with the height. That is one reason I prefer the coilovers, because they provide some versatility if I want to lift later on. Plus my first child is due next month so modification money may be hard to come by!!!!! The baby and a serious shotgunning habit (my wife and I both) are keeping the funds low.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
That is why I like the coilovers too. Adjustability. I'll stay in touch with you, who knows, maybe we can work something out.

Later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here is the build album for the grill.
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r212/tworr/2004%20Tacoma%20DC%204x4/Landcruiser%20Grill%20mod/

If I did it again I think I could do it without having to paint the grill. I would have thought that because the grill is recessed so far back that the trimmed area would have been more visible. The grill still covers enough that if the cutting was done with something like a plastic heat cutting tool and no cutting marks were made to the visible parts of the plastic, that the time consuming stuff like bondo, sanding and painting could be skipped.

I also could not find anyone with expanded metal long enough so I ended up welding my own pieces together to get the length I needed. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Talking about Coilovers and lifts. I've been waiting to get new rubber while trying to decide what kind of lift to go with without breaking the bank. We have a 10 month old so I have to watch my spending a little closer these days. That is the main reason I have been taking my time on fixing up my Tacoma.
On my FJ60 that I use to have, I went with a 3" OME lift and 33's and it worked well for the vehicle.

Now I'm wanting to balance height and ability and stay as low as possible. I think the Tacoma is a VERY capable rig and for the type of stuff that I am doing, a massive lift is not necessary. Even if I went with a 3" lift I still could not get 33's on and give them the room they really need. Sure I can bend the pinch weld, but do I really have the room for 33's with a 3" lift for aggressive off-roading?

Here is some good information on lifting your Tacoma. I believe the lift/Tire size chart at the bottom is old information for the 2004 body style that I have.
http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=137

I've been through some NASTY mud, the three-dollar whore kind of NASTY and I have had no problems.
Sure I miss my old Landcruiser, but I think this Tacoma is the best vehicle I have ever owned for it's versatility and off-road capabilities.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
nice rig

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Here is the build album for the grill.
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r212/tworr/2004%20Tacoma%20DC%204x4/Landcruiser%20Grill%20mod/

If I did it again I think I could do it without having to paint the grill. I would have thought that because the grill is recessed so far back that the trimmed area would have been more visible. The grill still covers enough that if the cutting was done with something like a plastic heat cutting tool and no cutting marks were made to the visible parts of the plastic, that the time consuming stuff like bondo, sanding and painting could be skipped.

I also could not find anyone with expanded metal long enough so I ended up welding my own pieces together to get the length I needed. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Talking about Coilovers and lifts. I've been waiting to get new rubber while trying to decide what kind of lift to go with without breaking the bank. We have a 10 month old so I have to watch my spending a little closer these days. That is the main reason I have been taking my time on fixing up my Tacoma.
On my FJ60 that I use to have, I went with a 3" OME lift and 33's and it worked well for the vehicle.

Now I'm wanting to balance height and ability and stay as low as possible. I think the Tacoma is a VERY capable rig and for the type of stuff that I am doing, a massive lift is not necessary. Even if I went with a 3" lift I still could not get 33's on and give them the room they really need. Sure I can bend the pinch weld, but do I really have the room for 33's with a 3" lift for aggressive off-roading?

Here is some good information on lifting your Tacoma. I believe the lift/Tire size chart at the bottom is old information for the 2004 body style that I have.
http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=137

I've been through some NASTY mud, the three-dollar whore kind of NASTY and I have had no problems.
Sure I miss my old Landcruiser, but I think this Tacoma is the best vehicle I have ever owned for it's versatility and off-road capabilities.
Right now I have a 3" OME/Toytec lift w/ 32's, and I don't have any serious rubbing issues. I got the Wheelers Type B's, and they are the reason I rub now. But, its not bad. I didn't want a huge amount of lift either. My rig is pretty capable, especially now with the rear locker and winch.

Later.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sweet mod wish you lived in a different state so I could have the cool grill. I thought about doing that with the big cruiser letters and whiting out the chrome grille. On my black truck it would be so sweet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts