1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aloha! Post pics of your rig!
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't have my rig yet.
My rig will be a 1998 Tacoma 4X4 SR-5 with an X-cab that I am trading for my Honda Element.
It's a 2.7 L 5 speed....So is this a good starter rig?

I do not know anything about Toyota trucks or 4 wheel drive vehicles at all.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't have my rig yet.
My rig will be a 1998 Tacoma 4X4 SR-5 with an X-cab that I am trading for my Honda Element.
It's a 2.7 L 5 speed....So is this a good starter rig?

I do not know anything about Toyota trucks or 4 wheel drive vehicles at all.
FYI Yes, great rig for most anything you want to do from mild to wild. Best thing to do is catch up on maintenance before any modifications. I would check repair/ maintenance records (if possible) to see what all had been done prior to your ownership. The 2 biggest things that effect reliability of that truck/ engine is the exhaust manifold and valve adjustment. The 95.5 - 00 exhaust manifolds are known to crack and can cause a burnt valve. If the valves aren't adjusted on time (they're very often overlooked) they can and will crack the head. Leading to a whole mess problems. If it was me, I'd check those 2 things first, then work backwards on stuff like spark plugs, wires, belts, and fluids to make sure everything is spot on for a reliable running truck.
My truck currently has 242k on the original engine and it has only had minor parts replaced since I've owned it (got it at 100k). I'm shooting for half a million on the original engine. It won't be hard but it will take forever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI Yes, great rig for most anything you want to do from mild to wild. Best thing to do is catch up on maintenance before any modifications. I would check repair/ maintenance records (if possible) to see what all had been done prior to your ownership. The 2 biggest things that effect reliability of that truck/ engine is the exhaust manifold and valve adjustment. The 95.5 - 00 exhaust manifolds are known to crack and can cause a burnt valve. If the valves aren't adjusted on time (they're very often overlooked) they can and will crack the head. Leading to a whole mess problems. If it was me, I'd check those 2 things first, then work backwards on stuff like spark plugs, wires, belts, and fluids to make sure everything is spot on for a reliable running truck.
My truck currently has 242k on the original engine and it has only had minor parts replaced since I've owned it (got it at 100k). I'm shooting for half a million on the original engine. It won't be hard but it will take forever.
Thanks for the heads up Scuba
This one has 200,000 on it and it seems to be strong.
I will check the valves....I've got lots to learn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts