TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - Im the new guy selling all the IFS and suspension stuff on the FS message board and thought I would finally introduce myself.

First of all, Ive been kinda listening to you guys for years - Like 3 :eek: - I know 'cause thats when I bought my showroom stock 2003 DC TRD Ltd. Ive picked up some great info and answered many of my questions from reading the threads and such over the years, so thanks!

And now... other than a few minor details, after three years of mods while maintaining it as my DD, GG (grocery getter) AND wheeler, its done! (well, maybe some tube doors?;) )

So, I thought pictures would be entertaing for you folks to see my progression from mild to WILD! but couldn't figure out how to post more than one or two pics with the intro....so I'll post the WILD side:D , and have to show most of the rest somewhere else... which I guess the best venue would be with the mods?

Anyway, Thanks again and hope to join and/or see you good folks on the trails!

PackRat

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nicely done, very clean looking truck

see you trail side

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Nice truck! Welcome.

I may have some tube doors that you could buy off me if you want them. They're the 4xinnovations ones, and should fit the front at least. My truck is for sale right now, and the tube doors will go with it, but if you really want a set, I'll sell mine to you.

·
7,735 Posts
Welcome, nice job... got any other pix of what you did with the back?

BTW, check into photobucket.com for hosting pix (free) where you can then post up more than a couple attachments.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments

I'll look into photbucket, cause I have tons of photos of mods that I think would help stir some more thought for folks to "thinker" about

Tube doors - I'll probably build my own, which is what I ended up doing with the front bumper after having bought and installed both an ARB, then a badlands - seems I always find something that could be improved upon...IMO

spec sheet? - you got a minute?...

2003 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab Limted TRD

Body
Factory sunroof
Tinted glass
Glassworks fiberglass front fenders and bedsides (easily removable for trail runs)
Custom Sliders
Custom Frame mounted Roll bar
Custom tube front bumper with receiver hitch and clevis mounts
Custom rear bumper with receiver and clevis mounts
Custom rear storage using 48” and 36” underbody Aluminum truck boxes
Summit Racing rear aluminum wheel tubs on Dzus fastners
Custom Aluminum front inner fender skirts on Dzus fastners
Dechomed and waynescoated with Durabak Smooth gray
Con-Fer 5’x3’ porthole rack
Napa universal w/w fluid container
Wet Okole neoprene seat covers

Electrical
Twin, remoted mounted, dry cell, deep cycle Odyssy batteries
Painless wiring dual battery system
Painless wiring starter cut-off selonoid
3-painless wiring 4 circuit fuse blocks
Premier power welder with 160amp alternator
Flex-a-lite dual electric radiator fan - blue
2 side facing and two rear facing 55watt flood lights
Vision X HID 6500 front driving lamps
H4 HID conversion headlights
Front and rear remote battery jacks
Custom LED front turn signals
Summit Racing Rear left and right side line locks
Alpine Audio with iPod dock, upgraded speakers
Cobra handheld CB

Engine
Toyota 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6 with TRD supercharger
K&N airfiler
4” deckplate airbox modification
Custom snorkle
E-3 spark plugs

Transmission
Toyota A340F 4spd OD Automatic Transmission
IPT Valvebody modification for street/strip
IPT electronic transmission manual controller
B&M 22,000 GVW transmission cooler with thermostatically controled fan
Atlas 4-spd transfer case (5.44), with cable shifters
Grey-wire mod for “anytime” e-locker engagement
Custom skidplating

Suspension/Axles
Front -
Currie built, Diamond housing, F450 knuckles, CrMo shafts, warn hubs, custom width, ARB airlocker, 4:88 gears Toyota V6 third member, Hi-steer, heim jointed
Walker Evans 12” coilover shocks
Fox 4” hydraulic bumpstops
custom 3 link with panhard, Johnny joints on lower links
Wilwood 4 piston calipers
Toyta IFS steering box
PSC Hydraulic assist steering with PSC pump and resevoir
Tri-county PS cooler
Rear -
Diamond built, full float, disk brakes, CrMo shafts, Asin hubs, custom width (66-1/2”), TRD e-locker, 4:88 gears
Walker Evans 14” shocks
Fox 4” hydraulic bumpstops
Alcan 5” lift leaf springs with orgbital eyes
Toyota supra rear calipers

American Racing Mojave 17x8 teflon coated forged Aluminum wheels
Procomp 35x12.50x17 Xtreme allterrain
Staun beadlocks

Offroad
Warn 9.5Rc multi-mount winch with 50’ synthetic rope
75’ synthetic winch line, 2 snatch blocks, 4 clevis’
4”x10ft tree strap
2”x30ft snatch strap
Oasis high volume air compressor
1 gallon remote mounted air tank
Hi-Lift extreme 60” off-road jack
Shovel, Axe, grinder, tools, spares, etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
OMFG ... it's a dream machine, no corners cut at all!

Now THAT's an expedition vehicle!

What are the side-to-side line locks for?
X2!!!!!

Im guessing so he can lock one side of the rear to pivot on that tire, like an aircraft or a tractor would do.

·
Registered
461 Posts
WOW, that is one awesome rig. Definately no corners cut, that is cover story material for one or all of the off road mags. Well done.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments guys - my head is swelling!

Ive been able to put some photos on photobucket

see- http://photobucket.com/packrat_evolution.

Ive tried to organize them in order of the build - remember, I kept this as my DD and wheeler the whole time save for two months during the SAS - (which I have not loaded pictures of yet - just to keep you guys drooling ..hehehehe)
So the truck you will see has factory stock underpinnings!
Ive detailed the front bumper, rear storage, front signals and battery relocation some. This will either answer your questions, or make you have more. (probably the latter)
Let me know if they are helpful, and if you need more info on some mods.
thanks for lookin'

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
no questions but i have two words

GAWD DAMN!!

nice rig man! im really impressed more like in awww i hope one day in my life time i can have a truck like that

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a Chiropractor and Acupuncturist actually- no formal training in auto mechanics, just a "hobby" I've had since childhood. - I built 95% of all this. I hired a shop for the axle swap where he let me stay in the back bay for two months while I wrenched under his supervision. He did all the important welding, helped me with axle placement and suspension geometry, as well as being an invaluable guide. I figured if he could build, race and win racing desert trucks, he had the knowledge I needed to slide those axles under there correctly the first time.
Hiring someone to build the truck for me would leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere in the case of a breakdown, so that was not an option.

Again, I have no formal training in mechanics, welding, or electrical work. it was all self taught by reading books on the subjects. Im telling you this not to pat myself on the back, but to encourage those of you who might not take on a project because you think you don't have the skills.

What I've learned is that when you think you are done with something, you can be sure its going to have to be redone.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
What I've learned is that when you think you are done with something, you can be sure its going to have to be redone.
... and that's half the fun!! Well said :kewl:

I'm nowhere near as far along as you are, but am working my rig toward expedition-ready as well, so I'll look forward to picking your brain.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Oh sorry I asked. As a general rule my employment will never include the mantinance of people. Steel has far better qualities than humans.
Cool truck though.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Oh sorry I asked. As a general rule my employment will never include the mantinance of people. Steel has far better qualities than humans.
Cool truck though.

Yeah but you can't stick tiny needles in steel... LMAO! :saw:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts