TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. my name is Gordon and I am here because I have a tacoma. I sound like Im at a AA meeting. I have a green 03 Xcab TRD. It is stock besides the step rails that were on the truck when i bought it. I am interested in doing minor modifications to the truck, i.e small lift, tires, etc. I am currently in Iraq but am looking forward to coming home to my girlfriend, dog, and truck. I just purchased my truck back in the spring of this year. The "cherry" has yet to be popped and am looking for the oppotunity to do so. Im a beginner so a beginner trail is necessary. Any advice on basic lifts and easy trails would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
shootertg said:
I'm with you buddy, new to this and everybody on this site is providing all kinds of feedback. Probably made a good choice joining the forum. Here is a link that someone sent me and it has been a big help.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/9504tacocart.html#9504shacklekits

hopefully it will help
Hey guys, welcome to TTORA. One word of advice, stay away from the top load spacer lifts. Yes, it is a cheap way to lift your truck, but do it right and buy a set of coilovers for the front. You can still do add leafs in the back to get the rear up, but do the front right. There a re several companies out there like Donahoe, and Sway-A-Way, fabtech, and All Pro that sell coilovers. Good luck. You won't regret doing it this way. Oh, thanks for your service to the country!

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
top load and coil spacer?

whats the difference between a top load and a coil spacer? how does a shackle lift work?

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!
Stay safe over there, we are praying for you guys and gals!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Look at the daystar, is has a giant spacer over the thin spacer. The Toytec has a big spacer below and a thinner top load. A giant Top load spacer will extend your strut tower to dangerous angles for the ball joints, Where as a coil spring spacer such as the toytec compresses the coil and gives you a stiffer ride. That is why the other companies put a top load on their, it gives you a better on road ride because the coil is not compressed as much, but its really crappy off road and horrible for ball joints.

A shackle lift uses a larger shackle in place of stock, which lowers the axle. It increases articulation and flex. If you plan on lots of heavy hauling you should get something else.
http://www.4tacxoma4.com/images/toytec.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
royboy333
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing