TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got my hands on a Toyota 1994 Pickup, 4x4, 22RE truck. Truck's very clean and maintained at 260000 mi. Gonna be my DD and work truck.

However, previous owner apparently hit a curb or something with the front driver's side tire, possibly even got hit by that side, don't precisely know. Truck would lean to the left pretty harshly when driving. Caster was seriously out of specs, camber not so much. After some adjustment by an alignment shop, the truck stopped leaning and drove perfectly straight, but camber remained out of specs.

So anyway, truck was driving ok so, considering everything else is in very clean shape (body and frame are in perfect shape, no rust), I decided to keep it. Took it to a Toyota dealer which upon inspection found out that the left lower control arm rear mount is BENT UPWARD (see pic below).

Thinking on it, I reflected that considering how overengineered these trucks are known to be, this shouldn't be so big of an issue. I mean with regards to risking breaking the mount or the frame area where it is welded to. Everything seems to be pretty solid and strong, no cracks are visible on the frame or around the mount. Also, I never really considered streightening the LCA mount or frame, better bent but still strong, than unbent but weakened.

So I again decided to keep the truck (in addition to engine work, I went on to change upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, steering relay rod (recall), as well as Old Man Emu steering stabilizer and front and rear shocks).

BUT THE THING THAT'S BUGGING ME NOW, is the left torsion bar, which I hadn't given much attention until now. Cause sometimes, when, for instance, having the left wheel turned halfway left, and at the same time the suspension on that side compressing-decompressing, as when entering a ramp, creaking-squeaking sounds can be heard from beneath the driver's side cabin floor. Other times, the sounds come simply from, wheel straight, the front end compressing and decompressing while driving over a - say - wide speed bump. I'm assuming those sounds are from the left torsion bar, and it has gotten a bit more frequent and louder over time. At first I thought "such sounds are normal in trucks this old", but then got thinking that maybe the left torsion bar was somehow also compromised by the hit the left front wheel took. So inspecting it, IT SEEMS TO BE SOMEHOW PUSHED UPWARDS where it exits the wheel well and goes beneath the cabin. There is actually not an inch of space between the torsion bar and the cabin, it seems to be actually in contact with the cabin metal floor (see pics below).

I sincerely don't know if this is normal or not. However, the right torsion bar DOES HAVE AT LEAST 1.2 in of free space between it and the cabin, and doesn't touch anything at all anywhere along its full length. I would suppose torsion bars need to have some space around them in order to twist when working, but maybe I'm wrong.

So my questions are:

1) Is this normal?

2) When lifting the truck by tightening the torsion bar, does this actually widens the space between the torsion bar and the cabin floor? Maybe all my problem is is the left torsion bar is less tightened than the right side one if this is the case.

3) If the Torsion bar, or any of its mounts (front or rear) are under abnormal stress from a probably bent frame, maybe I'm risking breaking something else if trying to replace the bar or even adjust it. What are the odds of this actually happening?

I'm just worried the torsion bar may break eventually, wouldn't want that to happen while driving at the highway. :/ As I said, this truck's gonna be my DD and work truck.

THANKS for any advice on this!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts