TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the TTORA forum again after a 3-4 year absence, thanks for taking me back. I'm glad we are off delphi now.

My wife and I had a son this past summer so I need to replace my '95 Taco ext cab with something with a bigger back seat. I was planning on getting an early model Tundy access cab, 4x4, V8, 5-speed, but according to the internet (like that's trusty) Toyota never made a Tundy V8 with a 5-speed. So now my backup plan is to get an early Taco DC, long bed V6, 5-speed, but it doesn't look like they made that either.

Did they ever make either of these trucks? I want to stay in the Toyota family (the wife has a 4runner) and can only spend $12-15k at the most. Let me know your ideas, I really need a "long" bed (not the short one they had on the first DC Tacos), have never owned an automatic, and would love to get the V8 to pull the boat. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Findley

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No, they do not offer what you are after. The new DC's can be had with a manual I believe, but you will have an imposible time finding an older one with it. I actually heard last night that there were something like 200 standard DC's made, but I don't think you'll find one ever. I am a manual guy myself, but I have heard good things about the Tacoma auto tranny. Some say it is even more reliable than the manual.
Don't know what to tell you. Wait a year or two and an '05 DC MT may be in you price range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 96 v6 ext cab 4wd with the auto trans and 250k on it, still works great even towing 5 to 6k it doesnt slip but the v6 doesnt have the guts to move that much weight very well. I would say unless you are really set on owning a manual go test drive an auto you might like it.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
if they would have made a dc 5 speed i would have bought one also, instead i bought a extended cab. i recently bought a '04 tundy, i like the power, it tows pretty good, can haul ass and stop good. id only want a auto behind a v8. now my daughter is bigger so im gonna get rid of tundy and get a fj. the tundy is pretty roomy in back , but its no wheeler like my taco or like the fj will be. :2cents:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra and the V8 auto has more than enough more power. Im still amazed how well it tows. I am a landscaper and pull a 20 ft wood deck trailer with three of those 60 inch deck zero turn mowers, alot of weight and it pulls em easy five days a week. I have a 98 manual single cab and love the five speed, and a 04 DC and the auto in it is pretty good as well I guess its what ever you like best and can afford. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Go Taco:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts