TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an air bag light that just started comming on today.. Its on when the trucks off.. Goes away when i start it...Whats up with thatguys??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Yotaman16 said:
I have an air bag light that just started comming on today.. Its on when the trucks off.. Goes away when i start it...Whats up with thatguys??
Whoa, I didn't think anyone else had this wierd-ass problem. Mine is on all the time, efven when the truck is off, but mine doesn't go out. Ever.

--Scott
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Very odd. I would check the connection and wires right behind the switch where you can disable the passenger side air bag.

Another thing you can do is test your horn or cruise control if you have it. If those work intermittently or not at all, then you are probably breaking your spiral cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
How difficult is the spiral cable to replace or repair? I have problems with my horn and cruise working intermittently, and airbag light on constantly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
My horn works fine, so does the cruise. BUT, my fuel light is on no matter how much gas is in it, but when I hit the brakes, fuel light goes out. I've looked for a short, and can't seem to locate it. My CE light is on when the truck is running, and that came on the same time all the other lights did, so it's not an actual code. It's nice and bright in the cab at night. HAHA!!
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
JLtaco said:
How difficult is the spiral cable to replace or repair? I have problems with my horn and cruise working intermittently, and airbag light on constantly.
This is what 97yoda gave me a while ago:

disconnect battery
wait at least 30 minutes for power to seep out of air bag or tap on the brake peddle, I am was told that this will bleed the electrical system of any residual juice.

Unscrew four screws on back side of steering wheel at the spokes to loosen airbag. Also take cover off steering column

(For this next step I was lucky and did not need a pulley puller, but normally you will)

Using a 16mm (If I remember right) wrench loosen the locking nut on the steering wheel.

after unsnapping the electrical connection to the spiral cable (yellow cable) from the horn switch pull the steering wheel.

The black "dial" looking thing is the spiral cable housing. (you should also see the loose connection you just undid coming from this. Under the steering column is another connection coming out of the opposite end of the spiral cable housing. Undo it, remove any screws holding the spiral cable in place (I believe there is four but I can't remember) Remove the old and replace with the new one. On the new you will see directions on how to "load" the new one. Follow them to the letter otherwise you will break the new one the first time you make a turn in your truck.

Follow the procedures in reverse to finish installing the new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
This is what 97yoda gave me a while ago:

disconnect battery
wait at least 30 minutes for power to seep out of air bag or tap on the brake peddle, I am was told that this will bleed the electrical system of any residual juice.

Unscrew four screws on back side of steering wheel at the spokes to loosen airbag. Also take cover off steering column

(For this next step I was lucky and did not need a pulley puller, but normally you will)

Using a 16mm (If I remember right) wrench loosen the locking nut on the steering wheel.

after unsnapping the electrical connection to the spiral cable (yellow cable) from the horn switch pull the steering wheel.

The black "dial" looking thing is the spiral cable housing. (you should also see the loose connection you just undid coming from this. Under the steering column is another connection coming out of the opposite end of the spiral cable housing. Undo it, remove any screws holding the spiral cable in place (I believe there is four but I can't remember) Remove the old and replace with the new one. On the new you will see directions on how to "load" the new one. Follow them to the letter otherwise you will break the new one the first time you make a turn in your truck.

Follow the procedures in reverse to finish installing the new one.

that's all great except that the damned sprial cable costs over 200bucks from the dealer :xdevil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
No need to wait thirty minutes

I've unplugged my airbag numerous times. Just like my Haines manual suggested, never waited more than 3 minutes after unhooking negative cable from terminal. When you take it off, lay it with top facing up (per Chiltons manual)

Clock spring spiral is probably culprit for airbag light always being on. My cruise went out had to replace mine. Easy to do, just tedious. Will take you 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Yup, they are expensive. $190 in Salt Lake
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
My horn works fine, so does the cruise. BUT, my fuel light is on no matter how much gas is in it, but when I hit the brakes, fuel light goes out. I've looked for a short, and can't seem to locate it. My CE light is on when the truck is running, and that came on the same time all the other lights did, so it's not an actual code. It's nice and bright in the cab at night. HAHA!!
You have a bad float or sensor. No big deal, just a PITA to replace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
caution is good, but airbags should never go off unless the truck ignition is on anyways, i've never taken a battery off to change a cable reel, but i guess it's a good idea......

and i do this partially for a living so i see lots of them...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top