TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- When I try to engage my factory trd electronic rear diff lock the dash light for the rear diff just flashes and never stays lit. The owners manual indicates that it is not locked until it stops flashing and I have tried everything to get it to work in L4. Any suggestions?

'99 tacoma

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
have you tried driving forward slowly, maybe with a slight turn to the left or right? The gears in the differential need to be lined up so that the locker can engage-and the light to go from blinking to solid. Mine's pretty picky, but just moving very slowly forward with a slight turn to one side or the other, and it always engages....'clunk' and a solid light. Good Luck!

-Mark

·
Registered
506 Posts
Are you sure it's not locked in? Mine locks, but the switch that controls the light is bad, so it just blinks.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
While moving forward slowly, try turning left and right as Tacomi said. Normally does the trick for me.

If that doesn't work, try pulling off the actuator and testing it: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42460

And another bit of advice, you may want to post in the newbie section for a little while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my '07. I read this thread and went off road to try it out...I was swerving left to right with no luck...but now that I re-read this thread I'm thinking maybe I should try a steady circle until it engages.
I brought it by the dealer and they didn't know what to do...I hate salesmen...I'll have to go back when the service guys are there.

Any other tips? I hope it's not broken

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Unless you have done the grey wire mod, you need to be in 4lo to lock the rear diff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DUR!! I had a newb epiphany today and finally got it working. This is my first 4x4 and I didn't even know enough to know that when "4-Low" is beeping at you it doesn't mean you're in.
So I got the truck in 4-Low and was able to lock the rear diff on some nice off road stuff and had a blast
That was embarassing...but I'm glad I figured it out and everything's working well. Thx for the help guys

·
Registered
796 Posts
Will the e-locker work in 4Hi without the grey wire mod?
No. The grey wire mod will allow use of the e-locker in both 4 hi and 4 low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts