TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had to change out a differential seal? On my front diff, drivers side, where the axle goes into the diff, it is leaking like crazy. Some sort of seal is wasted I guess. The part is only like $12 and some clip is $1.20, and I have taken apart the front end almost that far before, but looking for any advice / help on this particular repair.

I guess there is a rubber seal or something in the diff casing once you pull the inner axle out of the diff (this is what I assume is toast). But a friend mentioned a spring of some sort?

Also, if I am losing diff oil, since I do not have amnual hubs, I assume everything is turning in there (this is bad I guess). Not sure how long I have before things get even worse as far as the diff.

Any help appreciated, I would have dealer do it, but I am already getting the clutch replaced at almost $600.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
WILLYCAD said:
Anyone ever had to change out a differential seal? On my front diff, drivers side, where the axle goes into the diff, it is leaking like crazy. Some sort of seal is wasted I guess. The part is only like $12 and some clip is $1.20, and I have taken apart the front end almost that far before, but looking for any advice / help on this particular repair.

I guess there is a rubber seal or something in the diff casing once you pull the inner axle out of the diff (this is what I assume is toast). But a friend mentioned a spring of some sort?

Also, if I am losing diff oil, since I do not have amnual hubs, I assume everything is turning in there (this is bad I guess). Not sure how long I have before things get even worse as far as the diff.

Any help appreciated, I would have dealer do it, but I am already getting the clutch replaced at almost $600.
its a pretty easy fix. pull the axle out, pull the old seal making sure not to nick the sides, etc. (it's just like the rear axle seals) and carefully press in the new one.

yes, with ADD everything in there is turning whenever you are moving.

since the dealer is doing the $600 clutch I would aske them about doing this as well for cheap. Sometimes they do that sort of thing...not often, but sometimes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts