TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Tacoma 3.4L dcab 4x4 with 230k miles on it.

Two years ago, I had a front bearing go out. I replaced both front bearings, all seals, coil overs, steering rod ends, and upper and lower ball joints while I was in there.

A few months ago, I heard what sounded like my right bearing going out again, so I replaced that bearing and seals. I also did a rear axle seal on the right side as well. I drove about 200 yards and my ABS started activating randomly. I reseated both sensors and it improved a little, but still activating when I am not slipping. I thought that maybe my CV nuts were loose, so I retightened them in case my tone ring was not clamped. Same problem, but this is not my biggest problem. I drove home that night and intermittently I heard that bearing grind sound. This time it was much quieter and on the driver side. Later I took the truck on a dirt road, put it in 4L and locked the rear locker just to spin everything. The sound improved a little. A few days later, the sound got worse, so I replaced the left bearing and seals. Made almost no change to the sound. The sound is speed dependent. When I go faster the sound is louder. When I swerve right or left, I can cause the grinding sound. I can effect the noise when at highway speed and I steer. It sounds and feels like it is coming from below my feet. It really sounds like a front bearing, but both have been swapped. The cv’s are original and the boots are intact. The brakes are at 50% and look normal.
Tomorrow, I plan to check the front diff fluid level.

It is strange thing is that body roll or steering makes the noise more pronounced.

I could do the rear bearings next, but the sound appears to be in the front.

I am really grasping at straws now. What does everyone think?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow.....no response?

·
Administrator
18,344 Posts
Not an easy thing to diagnose on the internet. I think you are looking at the right components, but there are so many variables to consider. The ABS activating could be a sign your bearings weren't properly installed or torqued correctly and all you are doing is killing brand new bearings. Driveline and diff can echo the same issues, so definitely something to check. I think the easiest way to isolate is to get the truck on a rack, run it in gear and listen for the source of the noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts