TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hello all,

Here are the specs of my truck,

03 tacoma double cab TRD Limited (Totally Mod free as far as I can see)
3.4 L 57K
BF Goodrcich AT T/A P265 70R16 Factory Alloys (really not sure if the tires have been replaced from stock - but I doubt it - still decent tread)

Bought this truck through Herb Chambers of Auburn, MA back in late December 06' with 53 K on it. Sweet looking truck man oh man. Metallic Lunar Silver looked like someone's baby!!! Anyways to make a long story short, It finally seems like I've had the truck long enough to see why someone may have traded it in. I have a driver's side floorwell shimmy that starts from anywhere between 50 - 65 mph. I took it for initial test drives b4 I bought it on RT 20 (50 MPH), and I 395(65-75). The 2nd time I drove it on I-395, I remember feeling something ever so slight that crept in and then seemed to smooth out at time -- like road conditions changed or something. I had my buddy drive it on the same stretch of road b4 I picked it up and he said it felt fine at 65+ mph.

Anyways, months later after more driving -- highway especially, Im finding that it's more of a nuisance to me than it was b4 at any time. It kind of makes ur feet go numb at times, and if you pay attention to it, it can get to you. I had it in for an oil change so I had them force balance (Hunter) the tires. Thinking that it seemed so minute, it must be something simple.

At first I think I wanted it to be solved, but the more I drove it on highway, the more I felt like I needed to address it. I called and set up an appt for Monday 4/23/07 with Herb Chamber's of Auburn. Will see how they handle this one, but I am not optomistic. My gut feeling at this point is that it is not a tire or balance issue. There is no shimmy in the wheel at any speed. I suspect it may be 2 driveline issues:

Transfer Case:

1. Possible internal problem inside the Transfer Case causing backlash vibration to the stick...This is the same vibration I am feeling reproduced to the drivers side floorboard area.

2. An improperly balanced rear shaft or driveline issue causing the stick backlash movement....??

It's hard to feel good at this point after reading some horror stories about Toyota accepting some vibration issues as a normal truck ride issue, and if this is the case I'll have to live with this?

Anyways, I'm starting to feel I may have been given a lemon here. I think my lemon law protection may have just passed. I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for me, as I love this truck otherwise.

Thanks,

Blackngold

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Talked to a service manager today and he says the TC stick shake is normal. The only other way I can explain the vibe is it seems to shake the TC stick more back and forth when the tranny shifts to 3rd - OD. Does this make sense to anybody?

I did get underneath and put my ear up to the TC in park and boy those gears seem hummy just sitting there. Not sure why the problem exasorbates when it kicks in to 3rd and OD. Also noticed the TC is tucked tight to the body in the area where I'm feeling the vibe.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If even only to tell me I'm being an anal Pri**. Or just tell me to live with it and don't buy one again. Either way feedback is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mentioned that to the service advisor. I don't think they'd have a problem replacing it. I checked it out as much as I could. Hard to say that there was any excess play there or not. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Transfer case shifter movement is normal. It is directly linked to the transmission, which is bolted to the engine for some reason, and that thing shakes like a mofo. If it is worse then other Tacomas, first I would swap wheels and tires with a good set to rule out road force variance and slight out of round tires. Then maybe a different driveshaft, but its highly unlikely that the transfer case gears or transmission gears are out of balance. I don't think those internal parts have enough mass to vibrate the whole truck, especially if you feel it in the floorboard. The motor mounts usually isolate those vibrations from the body.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts