TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 04' Jetta TDI a few months ago and while I like the car, there are a lot of things that I don't care for... I won't go into detail but I will say that the build quality is one of the main reasons and the lack of fun is the 2nd that I want to look into something else. I spend a WHOLE lot of time behind the wheel in traffic so it's important to like what I drive otherwise it makes my commute even worse.

Whatever I choose has to have these features:

1. 4-doors
2. Good fuel economy (30mpg hwy)
3. Fun to drive
4. Reliable
5. Affordable (under $30K)
6. Inexpensive to work on and easy to maintain (Jetta is a bitch to work on)

My list of cars (feel free to add)

1. Acura TSX (well balanced, luxurious, reliable, and quality)
2. Dodge SRT-4 (QUICK, 4-doors, fun to drive, but it's a DODGE)
3. Mazda 3 (Nice car but it's a chick car.. FORD A-plan discount = cheap).
4. Toyota Corolla XRS (Cheap, high build quality, lack of driving excitement)

or keep

5. VW Jetta TDI (Built in Mexico, hard to work on, AWESOME fuel economy, and decent performance)

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
hehehe...

I saw this post coming a few months ago..

Go with the TSX or look into an RSX or Suburu WRX or Lancer Evo (dunno much about the last one though)

·
Registered
951 Posts
WRX is the way to go, 0-60 in 5.4 sec. off the showroom floor, 60-40 all wheel drive...there is a reason they dominate the Rally circuit. you can find a 2002 with less than 30k mi. for around 14-15k if you don't want to spend the 24k for a new one. Made in Mexico=CRAP. Examples: Dodge and VW...nuff said

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the mazda 6 also

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
the new mazdas do look pretty sick

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
I purchased an 04' Jetta TDI a few months ago and while I like the car, there are a lot of things that I don't care for... I won't go into detail but I will say that the build quality is one of the main reasons and the lack of fun is the 2nd that I want to look into something else. I spend a WHOLE lot of time behind the wheel in traffic so it's important to like what I drive otherwise it makes my commute even worse.

Whatever I choose has to have these features:

1. 4-doors
2. Good fuel economy (30mpg hwy)
3. Fun to drive
4. Reliable
5. Affordable (under $30K)
6. Inexpensive to work on and easy to maintain (Jetta is a bitch to work on)

My list of cars (feel free to add)

1. Acura TSX (well balanced, luxurious, reliable, and quality)
2. Dodge SRT-4 (QUICK, 4-doors, fun to drive, but it's a DODGE)
3. Mazda 3 (Nice car but it's a chick car.. FORD A-plan discount = cheap).
4. Toyota Corolla XRS (Cheap, high build quality, lack of driving excitement)

or keep

5. VW Jetta TDI (Built in Mexico, hard to work on, AWESOME fuel economy, and decent performance)
Although THe WRX and the Evolution are fun cars( I checked an evo out yesterday..slick , quick but not very refined.) My BMW Z4 is the same, fun but a pita to have in traqffic, , It is annoyying as hell in stop and go and without open road a total waste of performance car.

I am throwing two more on the table the Lancer ralliar http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/mitsubishi/lancer/100407132/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.miptype.popular.num2.1.mitsubishi* (milder and more economical than the EVO yet still fun)WE have had good experiences with every Mitsu we have owned. Then there is the Nissal ALtima, another underrated car.

We just got theMitsu Outlander for very cheap as I think we discussewd previously but the highway mileage seems to be about 26-27. Not bad for an AWDCar based ute. And it was CHEAP. I love buying Demo cars.

I agree on the corro;lAand the Matrix that is based on it being completely anemic and ininspiring. Good solid cars but you will grow bored with them quickly.

The Important thing is to test drive all of the considerations. We all have quirks on what makes us happy with a vehicle. I am getting to an age where I appreciate a vehicle that is easy to enter and exit without huge steps or stooping.

Good luck and happy hunting! :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CronusTRD said:
hehehe...

I saw this post coming a few months ago..

Go with the TSX or look into an RSX or Suburu WRX or Lancer Evo (dunno much about the last one though)

You saw it coming, huh. :p I need something more manly then my Jetta.

·
Registered
146 Posts
6vamocat said:
Lexus is 300. Anyway, check out www.autos.msn.com. Lots of factory specs on each vehicle.
another vote for the little lexus....and you can keep modding it with TRD stuff too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My daily driver is a 04 TSX. I've been nothing but happy with it. It's luxury, and fun to drive as well. Also, it will hold its resale value well. Only complaint is that it can't tow my taco.

If you have any specific questions about the TSX, ask away!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe,

How is the performance on the TSX? Do you think it lacks low end torque? I don't mind revving the motor but I don't want to have to redline it constantly to enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IS300 is on the list BUT it's a thirsty little car. The back seat is also slightly smaller then the Jetta.

·
Registered
142 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
Joe,

How is the performance on the TSX? Do you think it lacks low end torque? I don't mind revving the motor but I don't want to have to redline it constantly to enjoy driving it.

For everyday driving the low end torque satisfies me. Just depends how hard you drive on a daily basis. Mine has absolutely no problems keeping up with crazy Las Vegas driving speeds.

I got the auto/sport shift on mine. When in auto it shifts pretty conservatively. It usually runs around the 1500 RPM range, but if you need to speed up to pass just give it some gas and it'll down shift and rev up for you. If I really want to get on it and shift at redline everytime I just switch it over to sport shift.

What sold me on the car was the interior. If you haven't sat in one yet, head over to an Acura dealer and check it out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joe,

Thanks for the Comments and I did drive the TSX. Compared to my jetta it felt more solid and I immediately noticed the higher build quality. I was also told that these were built in Japan, so that may be the reason.... Anyhow, I drove one that was equiped the Sequential transmission and NAV. Overall, I liked the appearance, fit, finish, and ergonomics of the car. I was a little disappointed on the performance or there lack of. Don't get me wrong, the little car would scoot when pushed hard enough but I just felt like I had to wring it out. In comparision to the Jetta it felt quicker but didn't have that torquey pull of the Turbo Diesel. Perhaps in a 6spd and a few miles for the break in, the performance would improve. I will have to go drive one again. Thanks again for the reply.

The TSX is definitely the hottest 4 door sedan out right now. I love the bodystyle and interior.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Mazda3 has grown on me in the last few months. My wife really liked it but I was hesistant and wanted to go with the Jetta. If it weren't for me, there would be one in our driveway..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure what fuel economy is like on them but you should look into the late 90's GS300 and GS400 Lexus sedans. I have seen used GS400's with less than 50K miles going in the teens, not bad for a $50k car. The 400's are fast as shit too, 0-60 somewhere in the high 5 sec range and a governed top end of 150.

·
Registered
269 Posts
97 FZJ80 said:
Not sure what fuel economy is like on them but you should look into the late 90's GS300 and GS400 Lexus sedans. I have seen used GS400's with less than 50K miles going in the teens, not bad for a $50k car. The 400's are fast as shit too, 0-60 somewhere in the high 5 sec range and a governed top end of 150.
Gas mileage my 95 GS300 is about the same as my Tacoma DoubleCab. I would think a GS400 would be similar or worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts