TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I've been driving a '98 Nissan Frontier for the last couple years. It's a company truck with a gas card, and has 261,000 miles. Earlier this week I took it to the shop to get the brakes looked at (soft pedal and losing fluid) and after hearing what it would cost to fix it, the bosses decided it wasn't worth fixing and decided to shitcan that truck and go to a vehicle allowance. I've gone back and forth with them and those details basically are what they are now, but the gist is that I now get a monthly stipend and need to drive, maintain, and insure my own ride, and pay for gas and whatnot with that allowance. Obviously none of my rides will do what I need them to, and my girl's F150 isn't an option either. Buying the Nissan from the company, fixing it and continuing to use it is sort of an option, but that regular cab gives me real bad knee problems and I just don't want to put money into that truck.

So, it's looking like my best option is of course a stock, non-wheeled Xtra cab or double cab Taco, '95-'04, five speed. I will not consider an automatic or a regular cab, but past that I'm pretty open. I'd like to minimize the time that I'm dailying the Runner so I'd like to find something in the next couple weeks. I've never paid super close attention to specific Tacoma issues, so is there anything specific to certain years to avoid? My ideal preference would of course would be an SR5 double cab, 3.4 five speed with an e-locker, and in expedition white if possible, but those of course fetch a pretty penny and I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

Since this is something of a time issue, I'd appreciate if we can focus our collective knowledge and expertise into finding me a good truck. :) Any input, leads and suggestions will be more than welcome.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The Double Cab Tacos didn't come out until 01, and unless they had a tranny swap done to them they are all autos.

The 3.4 is standard on the Double Cabs.

As far as finding one, well you can try what I did when I was looking for mine, Craig's List, AutoTrader.com, Cars.com, etc.

I got a screaming deal on mine from a VW dealership in Ft. Collins.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen 3RZ double cabs, and pretty sure I've seen manual tranny ones too. Either way, I'm finding that they're a little out of my budget. :(

Looked at a '97 last night; 3.4, five speed, SR5, California truck. Looked real good, just needs lower balljoints, an alignment and probably tires sooner than later. It's definitely a strong candidate right now.

What do you guys with mostly stock trucks get as far as gas mileage with the 3.4?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I get 18, I would probably get better if I stopped with the lead foot, not to mention my pocket book would appreciate it too due to lack of speeding tickets.

Obviously if you want good MPG, the 4 banger taco is your best bet. Those are more standard with the single cabs.

When the tacos first came out you could still get the 22RE, but I believe that was for single cab 2WD, models only.

Another tid bit of info, the factory installed e-locker started being installed in 99.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
No Tacoma was offered with the 22r. The 2wd drive had the 2rz and the 4wd version had the 3rz. The electric locker was offered in 1998 in the Tacoma and 1996 in the 4runner.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a '97 SR5, 3.4 five speed. It's in pretty good shape, although of course it needs a few things (alignment, couple tires, lower balljoints, possibly front shocks, radio, etc). Been driving it for about a week now and I've gotten 19.5 and 19.4 mpg on two consecutive tanks, respectively. Not too bad, and I do like the 3.4. I'm gonna be needing and wanting Taco stuff now so hit me up if you have anything (stock takeoffs will be fine in a lot of cases) and I'll probably be posting want ads now too. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a stock double din cd/radio if you weren't looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try and get some pics up soon. Took it in for an alignment the other day and balljoints and such are fine, it just needed some toe adjustment. Front tires are worn pretty smooth on the outsides, so I'll probably need two tires sooner than later. I was surprised to find that the stock tire size is 31x10.50x15, as I thought that the stock tri-bar wheels were 16's. Are there two different sizes of those wheels or am I just cracked out?

I also ended up buying a new cheapo head unit so I could have an aux input. Took the old Sony out and the stock harness had been hacked up and then badly respliced, so I had to solder and heatshrink the plug back on, with under an inch of wire to work with on the plug side. Bastards. Other than that it's dialed in for the moment.

Anyone got a decent set of '98-'00 plastic fender flares? I'd like to go to those instead of the skinny chrome ones (stock) that are on there now. I want to gradually de-chrome this truck (sorry Russ :D ) and I love the look of the later flares.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, and when I got license plates the other day and was taking off the California plates in front of the courthouse, I was welcomed to Colorado by the gentleman who pulled up behind me. :D I was quick to disavow any association with that state. ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
98-00 trd flares were fiberglass. I have my old beat up ones you could have
Are they cracked and smashed or just scratched up?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was surprised to find that the stock tire size is 31x10.50x15, as I thought that the stock tri-bar wheels were 16's. Are there two different sizes of those wheels or am I just cracked out?
I believe you are right that tacos, epecially the earlier ones came with 15" rims.

For those who know more than me correct me if I'm wrong, but they went with the 16" rims when they went to larger brake calipers and discs?

Regardless, you have a nice cost saver there with the 15" rims, it will save you $50 per tire.

·
20,355 Posts
Up to 01 they were 15s then 16s after. The one style of early 15 also can be found in 16

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the Tacoma have some capacity for clutch pedal adjustment? Since I got it, the clutch has grabbed right off the floor. Not ideal but I got used to it. Tonight I happened to pull upward on the pedal with my toe and now the pedal feels ten times better and grabs in the middle where it should. I didn't think these trucks had any pedal adjustment - what gives?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts