TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is mainly for my new bike, but would like to use it while hiking and in the wife's car

looking at the 60CSX
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO

or possibly a nuvi
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+nüvi+1300LM+GPS/9940512.p?id=1218198443167&skuId=9940512

would be nice if there is a handlebar mount available, would like to be able to hardwire it to the bike and run it off batteries while hiking, waterproof is a plus

the cheaper the better, but i dont want to skimp

what you guys think?????

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since i have a $50 gift card to best buy i think im gonna pick up the nuvi 1300lm

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
I’d go 60CSx or the 62, which is much the same, sort of (with more feature – but you may not need them). The Nuvi isn’t going to enjoy the outdoors too much and isn’t going to be great for hiking (though in the thing you liked to, it would look good on a bike).

My 60CSx has held up well and not had the easier life. I did put a screen protector on it and try to remember to replace t from time to time.
I do not know if you are into Amateur Radio but according to this http://www.mikew.org/?p=282 you can also use the 62 for APRS (and then position reporting/tracking). The 60 Csx supports NEMA via serial as well, and works great for APRS.

Both 60 and 62 can be sued in a vehicle as well. I have an external antenna for the 60CSx and it works very well.

So, you go that way and you get three uses!

Factor in the cost of MapSource if you want more than just base maps.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Some folks do not like the touch screen, some do. Oregon is nice but the 62 (as was the 60) is more durable, in my opinion . . . others will disagree.
Map Source the application can be had for free (installing Training Center and then Map Source Update I think), but the maps, not so much (unless there is something else I do not know). The Topo maps are very useful when out and about . . . though at least the 60Csx was quirky here, offering only way point to waypoint routing in when showing topo maps.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Some folks do not like the touch screen, some do. Oregon is nice but the 62 (as was the 60) is more durable, in my opinion . . . others will disagree.
Ehhh.

Map Source the application can be had for free (installing Training Center and then Map Source Update I think)
That is correct, thats how I got mapsource. Mapsource is free but it won't unstall unless it detects a previous version of mapsource on your computer. Thus the training center install.

but the maps, not so much (unless there is something else I do not know). The Topo maps are very useful when out and about . . . though at least the 60Csx was quirky here, offering only way point to waypoint routing in when showing topo maps.
You can get free maps from GPSfiledepot.com not to mention other places. Granted, they're not USGS 24K maps or anything, but it'll get the job done until I have $100 to buy the TOPO from Garmin.
Mine does the same crap with waypoint to waypoint too. But its because I don't have the garmin map that also has on road navigation and currently it says "insufficient road data to make route" or something.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Mine does the same crap with waypoint to waypoint too. But its because I don't have the garmin map that also has on road navigation and currently it says "insufficient road data to make route" or something.
I just set up my routes, and all those others I might care to take, before hand and keep a sort of version controlled file for each area, with the track data and such. Over time, the data builds up to where you have useful stuff for just about everyplace! The routes are then more details from the start and then increase with time and have a nice colored line from the track as well.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fyi the nuvi has been doing great, i found free topos for it, but most of the time just use the street map its very detailed(has forest service roads)

only wish i could upload tracks to it, can only upload points. can download tracks from it though

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was actually considering going with a relatively "dumb" GPS like the Garmin eTrex line and not diving into the never ending and expensive map purchasing route.

My "smart" GPS would then be on the iPhone/iPad using Gaia GPS and their included USGS topo maps and/or an uploaded map of my choosing.

Plus then you get at least some level of redundancy having two GPS's.

All backed up with paper maps and a compass of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts