Votes: 5 10.0%
  • other

Votes: 34 68.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i need help deciding what tire to go with next. i have bfg mts right now and love them but im wanting to try something different. right now im stuck between 33x12.50 baja claws or dick cepek mud countrys. as far as terrain is concerned, i wheel mostly on the rocks and occassionally in the mud...

now, before anyone tells me to search, i have done alot of research on both tires and have heard good and bad things about the claws, but havent found much on the cepek's.

sooo tell me what i should go with and why. if you pick other tell me what tire you would go with instead.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Cooper STT's. Great offroad tread for the wear and tear of wheeling. I run 'E' rated tires for the extra strength when aired down 12-15 psi

·
Registered
779 Posts
Cooper STT's. Great offroad tread for the wear and tear of wheeling. I run 'E' rated tires for the extra strength when aired down 12-15 psi
12-15 thats nothing..??? :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
forget coopers, they arent even comparable with the baja claw, thats like comparing BFG A/T's to super swamper TSL's I've had claws and I have two friends with STT's and there's no compatition, the claws beat them on every terrain, they mite be more money, but its well worth it

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I wheel basically the same terrain you do, so I'm in the same boat if you will. Other than sidewall strengh, I'm surprised you're not sticking with the BFG M/T's. Personally if it stays on the drier side, not real sloppy/sticky mud, you can't go wrong with the TRXUS M/T. It has nearly impervious sidewalls and an excellent tread compound for the rocks. I have wheeled many different tires and have never found a better tire in the rocks, period! I have done a little grooving iron work on mine to help it clean in the sloppy stuff and it's made a marked difference. That's my .02, hope it helps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Im currently running trxus m/t's also, and they are a nice tire, they are probably the best m/t on the rock, but the just dont clean out at all, i almost rolled over the other day because I went through some mud and then tried to climb a huge rock, the tires were so packed that the whole truck slid sideways when i hit the brakes, so if you run rocks and mud together, forget the trxus

·
Registered
808 Posts
I voted other...other than different looks why not stick with what you really like?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Other. Cooper STT II's. I run 8-10 psi on my Cooper's no problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hear people bragging about how low they can air down to, but the truth is that it doesnt matter. Every tire is different, my Trxus flex more on rocks with 15lbs than my friends swamper sx's with 7lbs. It doesnt matter how low you go, it matters how much the tire is willing to move, at a given pressure. So maybe the STT's can go down to 8lbs, but i bet my trxus will still kill them on the rocks with 15lbs, plus it takes me less time to air up and down

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I hear people bragging about how low they can air down to, but the truth is that it doesnt matter. Every tire is different, my Trxus flex more on rocks with 15lbs than my friends swamper sx's with 7lbs. It doesnt matter how low you go, it matters how much the tire is willing to move, at a given pressure. So maybe the STT's can go down to 8lbs, but i bet my trxus will still kill them on the rocks with 15lbs, plus it takes me less time to air up and down
Well put, my TRXUS love 14 psi but 17 might as well be 35..That's my .02

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
you said it,you have BFG and love them.why take a chance on something else.seems like alot of money(800-900$) to change up on tires.i go through the same thing everytime i buy tires,guess what,still running bfg.
if you HAVE to change,go with the stt or the truxus mt.both proven in the same terrain you wheel in.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
forget coopers, they arent even comparable with the baja claw, thats like comparing BFG A/T's to super swamper TSL's I've had claws and I have two friends with STT's and there's no compatition, the claws beat them on every terrain, they mite be more money, but its well worth it
rrriiiggghhhttt

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I believe Mickey Thompson still has that rebate thing going. Hey, that alone would motivate me to get the claw's.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I believe Mickey Thompson still has that rebate thing going. Hey, that alone would motivate me to get the claw's.
From where??

·
Registered
41 Posts
The rebate is only good for 13.50 and wider I belive. was looking at them this week and went with the STT..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know I'm about a week late to get in on this discussion but I have a definate opinion here. I had Baja Claws and liked everything about them while off road. They only lasted about 22K miles as we do quite a few long distance runs like Baja which has us running on and off the hiway at 15 psi. Then I switched to BFG M/T's and I think they outperform the Baja Claws in nearly every way I have used them. They are better in the rocks, dirt, hiway ( wear better and quieter), sand (dunes and beach). They're about the same in the mud but I know my west coast mud isn't like your mud back there. BFG's are a little more money but you get twice the life out of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts