TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this ADD stuff. Please enlighten me... I know solid axles and manual hubs very well from my Land Cruisers.

When I am running in 2H w/ ADD hubs, what is turning in the front driveline? Anything? There shouldn't be, right?

Some are going to manual hubs, and I definitely see the benefit if things are spinning when in 2H.

Please explain how the front drive system works in regards to ADD.

Thanks for any info you have guys...

Jody.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Jody- In LC terms, your hubs are ALWAYS locked, what you lock/engage now is the diff.
Your hubs turn your CV's, but then nothing else happens until you connect the differential.
Guys go to manual hubs generally for three reasons:
1. they have locked the front (therefore the hubs spin the CV's which now spin the locked diff which spins the front d/s (usually not balanced well)- so manual hubs keep all that junk form turning.
2. They want to be able to remove a broken CV & drive off the trail. With ADD you must replace the CV and you cannot dirve without one.
3. They have so much lift cranked in that to keep thier CV boots from weraing out so quick they swap to keep the CV's from spinning.

Downsides to the swap: new bearings, press work, Manual shafts are smaller (easier to break). Most agree the upside- especailly the getting home part- outweighs the downside- increased risk of breaking.

I am in the minority... I have swapped out manual hubs for others, but no ADD ones (yet) :p

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that's why I hear that soft rumble/moan up to about 20 mph from the frontend. It sounds like tire noise (BFG ATs), but I heard it on my prerunner too. Maybe wheel bearings? But my prerunner only had 30k on it. Any ideas on that?

Okay, so my CVs turn all the time. Good info. Now I understand the need for the manual hub swap.

Can I run manual hubs with my Ivan Stewart wheels??

Jody.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Outback said:
So that's why I hear that soft rumble/moan up to about 20 mph from the frontend. It sounds like tire noise (BFG ATs), but I heard it on my prerunner too. Maybe wheel bearings? But my prerunner only had 30k on it. Any ideas on that?
Not with out hearing it... could just be tire/road noise? The fenderwells are thinner & less insulated than your LC... next time you're down we can take a listen.

Outback said:
Okay, so my CVs turn all the time. Good info. Now I understand the need for the manual hub swap.
They were designed to be that way, so it's not really a 'need' unless you have one of those three concerns (locked front, don't want to carry a spare CV or you've really cranked up the lift).

Outback said:
Although there is a difference between the first generation and the second generation, sadly the answer is no... the hub hole isn't large enough. I had to measure once for a guy a long time ago... don't recall the exact measurements. There's always these: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11434&postcount=1

This is a great deal, and we can TTORA express them to DFW for you. Of course, with the lift you've planned, you'd need a couple of inches of body lift... :)
I'm sure you won't have trouble finidng a buyer for your old wheels.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Outback said:

Jody.
Not unless you open out the center opening of the IS wheels-
THe hole is too small IIRC- THe locking hubs won't fit

-Phong

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welll..... I have reconsidered my wheel/tire idea. Lee has "helped" me decide that I'm probably NOT going to wheel this rig as much as I thought I would :rolleyes: and she REALLY likes the IS wheels. My FJ40 is my hardcore trail rig and I "should" keep it that way. I'm gonna put on a new set of 265/75/16 Revos now for the mostly street driving I will do.

I told her that I still NEED those 882 coils though :D Does Santa Chris know anything about that???? :D

I'l look/listen a little closer at the front end noise. We'll see.

Jody.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts