TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a poping when I turn my stearing wheel past center line. I can repeat it when I turn the wheel fast.

What could it be? How do I trouble shoot this?

I am getting ready for a road trip and want to fix this before I go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Ramdough said:
I noticed a poping when I turn my stearing wheel past center line. I can repeat it when I turn the wheel fast.

What could it be? How do I trouble shoot this?

I am getting ready for a road trip and want to fix this before I go.

Thanks.
Sounds like a busted inner tie rod or the steering rack bushing is worn out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is an '02, I wouldn't expect wear to be a problem yet?!?!?

How do you trouble shoot this? I have not noticed any change in steering response.

Grab the bar coming from the rack and pinion stearing (is that the inner tie rod?) and shake it.....if it is loose it is the bushing?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Jack up the front end and lock the wheel. Pull on the tires from left and right look for excessive movement or play. Pull from the top and the bottom to check your Balljoints for the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will try that tonight....I only have 45K miles on it and the noise started randomly....I haven't done anything to break my truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How easy is that to replace....how much does it cost? I assume with my lift I can't get Toyota to pay for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it turns out that the mounting bushing for the rack and pinion (right near the pinion gear, with the bolt going through it) is allowing the forward side washer to move and it clicks every once and a while.

Should I get a poly bushing to replace it or a toyota one? How much do they cost and where should I get one?

Thanks, Guys for your help!

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
get the energy susp bushing kit for the rack, thats your problem (join the club!)
its like 25 bucks and takes a bit of work to install.
but nothing is wrong with your shit, you can still drive it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Chas
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing