TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum
Im going to look at a 1998 Tacoma tomorrow with 145k miles thats close to my house, pretty sure its a 2wd model too, basic one
Its a short bed and cab, Has a manual, im not sure which engine it has, most likely either a 2.4 or a 2.7
I already know that main things to look for are rust on the frame and the cars accident history.
But, how long can I expect the engine to last if its a 4 cylinder?
Also, I live in Miami and off-roading is not really my thing, but if its a 4x4 model, should i be concerned, are the 4wd ones reliable?
I just want a small and basic reliable daily driver that looks cool and clean, not gonna use it to do ''pickup truck stuff"
I really like the retro ''mini truck'' vibe
Thanks for the info, I'm still learning about these trucks
Vini

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,370 Posts
If its a Prerunner, 2.7L engine, if its a 2WD mini, then 2.4L engine. Both are basically the same except for displacement. The only weak area of those engines is the heads. Keep the valves adjusted to avoid burning a valve. The heads will eventually crack, but proper maintenance will prolong the life. If compression checks out and is fairly even, the engine is in good shape. Should be able to get 250-300k without any major repairs.

4WD models have no known major issues. Check the rear leaf springs for excessive wear and "S" curve. Upgrade/replace as required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man,
i don’t have the tools to do a compression test thou, I’ll see if I can buy one and I’ll watch YouTube videos
The guys asking 3.9k for the truck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man,
i don’t have the tools to do a compression test thou, I’ll see if I can buy one and I’ll watch YouTube videos
The guys asking 3.9k for the truck
pretty sure it’s a 2.4l, it’s looks very basic

Attachments

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,370 Posts
Thats a mini version with 2.4L engine. Fabtech used to make a lift for those trucks, but not sure it is still available. Suspension is way different than 4x4. That is a good work truck, but not much for off-roading. Price seems high. Note the steering wheel is aftermarket, so no more driver side air bag. Might be a salvage title so be careful. Salvage title is generally only worth half the KBB value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help man, I’m going to check the carfax tomorrow and if it’s clean I’ll buy it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts