TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but I used to out the delphi one once in a while. I remember a link to a site where somebody did a 4wd and 5 speed swap into a double cab. If anyone has the link could they please post it, I've been googling for a while and I can't find anything. I need to run it over to a shop before they close (to give em an idea about how to handle the electrical) if they were to attempt a 4wd swap on my truck.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!


Oh yeah, I have a 2001 Tacoma Prerunner v6 automatic
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
ONEWAY said:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but I used to out the delphi one once in a while. I remember a link to a site where somebody did a 4wd and 5 speed swap into a double cab. If anyone has the link could they please post it, I've been googling for a while and I can't find anything. I need to run it over to a shop before they close (to give em an idea about how to handle the electrical) if they were to attempt a 4wd swap on my truck.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!


Oh yeah, I have a 2001 Tacoma Prerunner v6 automatic
there are a couple of Cali members who have done this but there are mixed feelings on the outcome. If you can collect all the needed parts AND do all the work yourself it can be 'maybe' cost effective. But, if you are thinking of having a shop do all this, forget it. It will be a lot cheaper to sell your Pre and buy a 4x4.

log onto the Cali board and search for info there or just ask for RJ and Snutty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I'm just researching. If the price difference is within a couple thousand, I think I'd still do it because I know my truck and it is mechanically sound. Plus I don't think I could get very much for it.. :(

ONEWAY
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
ONEWAY said:
Thanks,

I'm just researching. If the price difference is within a couple thousand, I think I'd still do it because I know my truck and it is mechanically sound. Plus I don't think I could get very much for it.. :(

ONEWAY
then contact RJ on the Cali board for details ;)

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
looks like you got the link you were looking for

i just swaped 4wd into mine, kept the automatic though. let me know if you have any questions about that part of the swap
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
Davis3000 said:
thats a perty double cab!
that what you wanna do to yours ? ;)

when do you want to do your skids? I should have some time next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
hytenor said:
that what you wanna do to yours ? ;)

when do you want to do your skids? I should have some time next week.
Yeap....someday I will be able to afford to do that heheh

How long does it take to fab the skids? a day 2 days?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
Davis3000 said:
Yeap....someday I will be able to afford to do that heheh

How long does it take to fab the skids? a day 2 days?
It took John and I two days for his but he actually finished up the welding at his place so I don't know how much longer it took him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
hytenor said:
It took John and I two days for his but he actually finished up the welding at his place so I don't know how much longer it took him.
wow...I have a pretty full plate in December-mid January,can we maybe try to do it then if you are available? I definetely want to do it! :D
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
Davis3000 said:
wow...I have a pretty full plate in December-mid January,can we maybe try to do it then if you are available? I definetely want to do it! :D
no problem, I'm 'officially' off until Mar 29th but have plenty of projects to get going on, mostly construction and cabinets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drabnor said:
looks like you got the link you were looking for
Yeah, that was the link I was looking for. I took it to the shop guy to look it over. He said the front end would be no problem, but he was worried about the electronics and something about the transfer case, but I didn't catch that part.

i just swaped 4wd into mine, kept the automatic though. let me know if you have any questions about that part of the swap
I wouldn't mind keeping an automatic, whatever is easier for them (so cheaper for me). He even said a SAS would be about the same amount of work, but I don't think I'll need that...

Thanks for all the replies
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
Davis3000 said:
Do you have somebody to do the install of the cabinets...if not Im your man ;)
nah, ones just a long bookcase for upstairs and the other is a linen cab for a friend...so far ;)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top