TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to drop my transmission to replace my Flexplate and I've run into a snag. I've already dropped the carrier on the rear drive shaft and seperated them. However, I can't seperate the front part of the rear shaft from the transfercase. It's like it's welded in place or something... Any tips?

Thanks,

99' 3.4 - 4x4

·
Registered
982 Posts
I use a big dead blow brass hammer; jars the thing loose with out destroying anything.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. Unfortunately I don't have one of those in my tool arsenal. With the drive shaft bent at about 90 degrees, I used a rubber mallet to try to drive it off the propeller shaft of the tcase. I was afraid to hit hard because I didn't want to damage the shaft or U-Joints.

Where did you hit with the brass hammer?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
Thanks John. Unfortunately I don't have one of those in my tool arsenal. With the drive shaft bent at about 90 degrees, I used a rubber mallet to try to drive it off the propeller shaft of the tcase. I was afraid to hit hard because I didn't want to damage the shaft or U-Joints.

Where did you hit with the brass hammer?
If you hurt the u-joint with a hammer... it was time to replace it anyway.... or you have REALLY bad aim!

Just wack it!

Though mine isnt' STUCk on there like your's sounds. It goes take a hit or two from my hammer to knock it loose. Usually one hit (not swinging it much) with my 3lb sledge and holding the shaft at an angle from the t-case will pop it right off. Just like getting it off the diff.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will give that a shot in the morning. Also, I was reading through a Haynes manual and they mentioned marking the D-Shaft with a scribe or chalk to preserve the balance. How important is that? I didn't do this when I seperating the rear. Thanks,

JK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
KANEMAN23
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing