TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me drill and tap my IFS steering box for hydro assist? I have this box off the truck right now....Its a second one. I am in the bay area (Emeryville) just wondering if someone could help me or I can ship it out to get tapped....I dont really care, I just dont want to fuck it up.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Can anyone help me drill and tap my IFS steering box for hydro assist? I have this box off the truck right now....Its a second one. I am in the bay area (Emeryville) just wondering if someone could help me or I can ship it out to get tapped....I dont really care, I just dont want to fuck it up.
can do on Monday if you're off. I'm in Hercules

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Seriously?! That would be great!! Ill PM ya my cell
yea, not doing much that day. have a fairly full shop so have the tap, etc.
I'll call you in the morning before I head to work.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris (hytenor) for all your help today!!! Great meeting you and Ill be callin ya soon to mount help the ram!!!:welder:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
Hopefully you get no leaks. My box started leaking after I tapped and added the PSC pump. I don't think the seals likes it too much.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Hopefully you get no leaks. My box started leaking after I tapped and added the PSC pump. I don't think the seals likes it too much.
We couldn't get all the tiny metal chips out so I suggested he rebuild the thing completely. I plan on doing the same to the spare you and I did before contemplating using it :p

I do have a tiny bit of seepage around the front seal where the shaft hooks up, but, only under hard wheeling...no leaking at all just driving around. I may add some stop-leak to the fluid and see if that takes care of it.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
We couldn't get all the tiny metal chips out so I suggested he rebuild the thing completely. I plan on doing the same to the spare you and I did before contemplating using it :p

I do have a tiny bit of seepage around the front seal where the shaft hooks up, but, only under hard wheeling...no leaking at all just driving around. I may add some stop-leak to the fluid and see if that takes care of it.
Yep, mine is leaking there, and nearly every other end of the box, and I was 100% sure I got all the chips out

Owell, PSC box should be here tomorrow. One less leak on the truck, now to take care of the several other leaks.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Yep, mine is leaking there, and nearly every other end of the box, and I was 100% sure I got all the chips out

Owell, PSC box should be here tomorrow. One less leak on the truck, now to take care of the several other leaks.
what is it with your truck and leaks? :p

Oh, the other Phil has a pass side axle seal to replace on his front. Looks like all the welding got it :p I'm still amazed that mine didn't blow with all the work AJ and I did...o well, only a matter of time. Marlin seals will go in along with a knuckle/spindle rebuild probably next year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So rebuilding the box after tapping it will get rid of the leaks?? Or using the leak stop? Its off the truck and Id rather take care of it while its off the truck. Where do I get the rebuild kit?

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
So rebuilding the box after tapping it will get rid of the leaks?? Or using the leak stop? Its off the truck and Id rather take care of it while its off the truck. Where do I get the rebuild kit?
Toyota has the rebuild kits...trdparts4u.com or Shannon's place will have them.
Marlin or Inchworm might be another source.

hey, I found that link :p
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7104
full writeup: http://128.83.80.200/taco/box.html

in theory...pt# for the rebuild kit: 04445-35130
from this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-488988.html

FSM
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/steering/13gearh.pdf

more:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26373

It seems that Mike in Concord has already done his so I'll hit him up for help with mine...when I get to it :p

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
what is it with your truck and leaks? :p

Oh, the other Phil has a pass side axle seal to replace on his front. Looks like all the welding got it :p I'm still amazed that mine didn't blow with all the work AJ and I did...o well, only a matter of time. Marlin seals will go in along with a knuckle/spindle rebuild probably next year.
I duno. Coolant leak, rear axle leak, ps box leak, I need to do a 120k service.... So many things to do, so little time.

When you're ready for the knuckle rebuild, let me know. I made a "SST tool" to center the knuckle on the axle.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537622

Also look in the FAQ. I couldn't really justify spending that much and possibly have it leak later, so I ended up purchasing the PSC box and the leaky one will be a spare...

Hopefully you won't ahve any leaks though!

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Mine leak after the tap and I had gotten it completely cleaned. I pulled it off and used some fipg on the sector shaft top and the piston top (both where they bolt on) and haven't had a leak for a month now.
fipg?

the only seepage I've had was at the front seal where the shaft hooks up.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
fipg?

the only seepage I've had was at the front seal where the shaft hooks up.
Mine leaks from every end except the top. :(

Owell, the PSC box is sitting in a box waiting to be installed with some other items.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok..... got the rebuild kit...im nervous to take it apart tho. I need to do it tonite, but im contimplating just sayin screw it and throwin the box on as is. I need it done by tomorow and I just dont wanna screw it up... Anyone know of a detailed step by step guide? Or how long it takes...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts