TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I havn't purchased a new computer in 10 years. I picked up a used one about 5 years ago. I don't think that counts though.

At 49 years old I'm looking at a career change ... or atleast diversification. Home building is gona leave me starving so I'm gona focus on a different aspect of the construction industry. Consequently I need a new computer to develope a little web site. My computer won't even pull up Google Sites w/out messing up.

1. The options are overwhelming, how in the hell do I select a new computer these days? I wan't a big laptop to replace my home PC. It won't travel much but still needs to be durable. I'm not a gamer but I love my Youtube. I pretty much only use Word, Excel & my little drafting program for business ... for now.

2. What's the best brands. The guy at the local computer store likes Lenovov?

3. Where is the best place to purchase from?

4. What's the difference in home/student versions vs office/business versions?

Seems like a computer should do it all these days! Anyway HELP! So I can continue to enjoy this rediculously expensive hobby we call WHEEEEEEEELIN!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
My company has all Lenovo computers at work, and I just bought a new 17" Lenovo laptop. I am very pleased with it so far. I bought it on Amazon when it went on sale back in october (it was a little cheaper than it is listed for now) Lenovo G770 I think it is a discontinued model, but works great for me none the less. (BTW that link changed and does not take you to the sold by AMAZON version i bought... if/when buying on amazon, try to always use a sold/shipped by Amazon option).

It isn't "top of the line" but it does a LOT more than my 7 year old dell did :D i3, 4GB, 750gb hard drive, etc runs all my adobe programs smoothly. I think it would be a good match for what you're looking for. You don't "need" a 17.3" screen, but it sure is nice when you're looking at it for a long time.

I bought from amazon for a few reasons .. free (fast) shipping, no tax, and they are great about returns so i knew if there was a problem with it when it showed up i could easily send it back.

As far as programs like office being student/home/business, etc. I think you'd be just fine to stick with the home version. The difference is in the group of programs you get. The home version includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. I like Office Home/Student 2007, on amazon for less than $100

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nic. On my compare spread sheet I have: processor/speed, memory, HDD size, screen size & price so far. Most all have DVD burners & cameras? I did notice card readers varying from 2 in 1 up to 8 in 1??? What other considerations?

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
I guess it depends on how many details you want! I was concerned with the basics, processor speed, memory, and screen size :D (oh and PRICE).

I would stick with brands that have a good reputation. I have NEVER heard anything good about hp/compaq ... Acer/Asus seem to be all over the place, but I'm unsure on long term quality. It all depends on "what goes into it" as far as quality parts, processors, type of screen, etc.

If I hadn't gotten the Lenovo, I was going to get another Dell. I never had an issue with my dell, and I put it through hell in the 7 years I was using it. IDK how it functioned with some of the memory hog programs I was using on it's little .87gb memory and 40GB hard drive :rofl:

I did a TON of searching, and I really feel like I got the best bang for my buck with the Lenovo. When I looked at Dell's website, they were more concerned with the fancy switchable lids and it was tough to narrow down all the specs.

as fas as card readers, your camera uses an SD card, so as long as it has that, you should be fine :D

lemme know when you buy something so we can come up there and i'll help ya kill off some of the pre-installed bloatware and get ya running smoothly! if you're guna wait a bit, i can let ya check out my laptop next time we see you!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Ed - Lenovo's a renamed personal use IBM Thinkpads. Like stated before by Nicole, IBMs are good bang for the buck along with Dells. Dells are known good laptops for personal use and always rank VERY high on customer reports. We are a HP shop here at the hospital system. I can tell you contrary to what Nicole said their business models take a beating by Docs and Staff here with no issues. Also stay away from Netbooks unless you want it to surf only.

What version Office are you looking for I may have a few license copies from my MS Small Business agreement?

lemme know when you buy something so we can come up there and i'll help ya kill off some of the pre-installed bloatware and get ya running smoothly! if you're guna wait a bit, i can let ya check out my laptop next time we see you!
You need this: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decrapifier Haaaaa! It's a modern world! I wish they had that for A LOT of things! Thanks again y'all. No waitin Nic, I'm goin shopping ...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What version Office are you looking for I may have a few license copies from my MS Small Business agreement?

I have Home & Student 2007? Seems OK to me? What do U suggest? I think I need a decision maker decrapifier. I think 'decrapifier' is going to be my new word for a while ... decrapifier! I hope I don't get modded HAAAAAAAAA!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Ed - Lenovo's a renamed personal use IBM Thinkpads. Like stated before by Nicole, IBMs are good bang for the buck along with Dells. Dells are known good laptops for personal use and always rank VERY high on customer reports. We are a HP shop here at the hospital system. I can tell you contrary to what Nicole said their business models take a beating by Docs and Staff here with no issues. Also stay away from Netbooks unless you want it to surf only.

i'll check it out, thanks!

as far as HP, that was just my :2cents: from what I've seen in the basic "consumer" kind of models ... nothing higher end that was designed to take a beating. :eek:

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
I have Home & Student 2007? Seems OK to me? What do U suggest? I think I need a decision maker decrapifier. I think 'decrapifier' is going to be my new word for a while ... decrapifier! I hope I don't get modded HAAAAAAAAA!
i'd stick with that if its working for you, you should be able to load it on whatever computer you end up getting. thats what i did with mine, I re-used my existing version of 2007.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
DO NOT GET A DELL!!!!

both Dells i had (laptop/desktop) were giant pieces of crap after about 2-3 years. I had my dell laptop fixed about 5 times under my 6 year warranty I got with it. (3 hard drives, a screen, and a keyboard.) I am not hard on my computers and take good care of them. Dells are the most overrated, over-priced, POS computers ive ever seen. I will never buy another Dell. Their customer service has also gone down the crapper.

Levino is good though dont have any personal experience with them. HPs are awful for personal use, but like Kyle said, their business models are solid.

Personally, if you dont plan on traveling with it, I would build your own desktop. you get a much better performance/cost ratio. PM me if you are interested in this. it is easy to do even if you know nothing about computers.

my laptop i have is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034H2YNM/ref=oh_o03_s01_i00_details

...wow the price went up $350 since i bought it last year!!!

I paid $600 for that laptop. 12 hrs of battery, a dedicated graphics card and a onboard card.

Asus has great products(except for their routers). You can can similar versions of that laptop for much cheaper than what I linked to.

Also believe it or not Acer's arent as bad as people say. My buddy has had his Acer for over 6 years and he still uses it everyday...its a bit out dated now but still.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
At work we use IBM (Lenovo) and they work very well...I've never priced one out for personal use though. We use them with docking stations so we easily go from portable mode to desktop mode with full size LCD monitor.

I'm going to side with Greg's thoughts here. If you don't need the portability of a laptop I'd shy away from getting one. When something breaks on a laptop you are looking at $$$$$ to fix it unless you are still under warranty. Everything is integrated....so if a letter falls off your keyboard you can't just go down to mom and pop PC store and buy a new one for $5. If you do decide to go the laptop route make sure it comes with a lengthy warranty out of the box!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
thats a great option too ... since you already have the keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc ... you could look into get getting a tower (the actual computer part). True "desktop replacement" laptops are expen$ive.

what exactly are you looking to be able to do with the next computer?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thad n Greg good point but Lynne is convinced we need to have something portable.

what exactly are you looking to be able to do with the next computer?
Well watch Youtube ofcourse ... that's a silly question! Really tho I use my MS Office stuff, drafting program, stupid Facebook etc. I'm planning on setting up some very simple websites thru Google or Weebly. I'd like to be able to do it all tho like watch TV & movies but I'm not a Gamer.

Marshall just go back to whatever U were doing ...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Thad n Greg good point but Lynne is convinced we need to have something portable.

Well watch Youtube ofcourse ... that's a silly question! Really tho I use my MS Office stuff, drafting program, stupid Facebook etc. I'm planning on setting up some very simple websites thru Google or Weebly. I'd like to be able to do it all tho like watch TV & movies but I'm not a Gamer.

Marshall just go back to whatever U were doing ...
heres an idea ... get a laptop for work stuff, find one thats a good fit ... and next time we are up there, i'll completely wipe your desktop and then you and lynne can youtube and watch all the funny dog & wheeling videos you can image without risking your nice new computer :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I replace my laptop about every 2 years.

Almost every time I have bought a Toshiba, no issues ever.

4 Gig of ram, 500 gb hard drive, DVD, MS office... I never spend more than 5-600 bucks. I'm always happy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts