TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the front of the truck lifted, now I'm working on the back. I cant seem to get the bolts that go through the ends of the leaf springs out to remove the pack so that i can install the new centering pin and aal. I got the nut off the bolt, just cant slide the bolt out. Is there some way to release tension on it or something. what am i doing wrong. This is my first lift, you guys got me through the front now a little help with the back would be great. thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is going to suck, but I had to cut my old springs off with an torch.. bolt had somehow welded itself in the bushing :confused:

I might be way off here, but I think it is possible to put the aal on without taking the springs out. I had to do a trail repair a long time ago when the (can't think of the name) "wedges to fix the pinion angle" broke in half.

Otherwise I would invest in a can of PB blaster and soak that thing and get some capillary action going... If the bushings are trashed so bad the bolt is stuck pick up some new ones.

:2cents:

·
Registered
348 Posts
You got the nut off the bolt? Did you try pounding on it with a big hammer until it comes out the other side? I don't know what year your truck is, but on 01 - 04 Tacos the bolt that holds the leaf the rear shackle must be pounded out because it has grooves which hold it into the shackle. If it doesn't want to come out still, odds are the bushings have become siezed to the bolt. If that's the case, you have to either keep working on it until it comes out, or cut the bolts and replace them. From my personal experience with Toyota's up here, if the truck is older than 3 years odds are good that you will have to torch or otherwise cut off the bolts. Sorry... But odds are for the rear bolts you just haven't been pounding it hard enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out how to get the aal in without taking the leafs out anyway. I just had to think about it a little longer. Now I'm just having trouble getting the centering pin to line up with the hole in the perch.

·
Registered
464 Posts
jon99taco said:
I figured out how to get the aal in without taking the leafs out anyway. I just had to think about it a little longer. Now I'm just having trouble getting the centering pin to line up with the hole in the perch.
been there, done that. the trick with this is that you need to loosen the U-bolts on the far side of the truck. this will allow you to align things very easily. all kinds of people are going to suggest methods which involve hammers and chain blocks and come-a-longs and tie-downs -- but if you loosen the 4 nuts on the other side it will simply fall into place.

jim aka the wrooster

EDITED TO ADD:
you are probably now having difficulty getting the new shocks on. by spending about $1.75 at Lowes you can make it incredibly simple. see the info in this thread:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51131

1 - 6 of 6 Posts