TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so ive done tons of searching and didnt come up with anything that im wanting to do sooo...

i need to figure out a way to mount my co2 tank on my toolbox so that it is stored at a horizontal angle, but when in use be at a vertical angle. so what im needing help with is figuring out a way to mount is so that i can easily rotate the tank to the vertical position or vise versa with out taking the tank off its mounting bracket. here is a pic that i did on paint to show what i mean...
(btw, i want it mounted on the outside front of the toolbox, facing the tailgate)

any suggestions on what to do? i cant weld so thats out i can do anything but weld so i want to hear what you guys think...

·
Registered
796 Posts
You could keep it secured in the box with a quick release type system (search "quick fist") then slide it into a bracket vertically for use.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SADGOAT said:
You could keep it secured in the box with a quick release type system (search "quick fist") then slide it into a bracket vertically for use.

hmmm i have looked at those in the past, but the only problem is, i need a way to lock it so some douche bag doesnt jack it...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well, I had a big long post but when I went to post it, it was moved and did not work. Can you not get some metal, cut all the parts, and then have someone else weld it for you? It would not cost too much.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jhunter said:
Well, I had a big long post but when I went to post it, it was moved and did not work. Can you not get some metal, cut all the parts, and then have someone else weld it for you? It would not cost too much.

i could eventually do that, but i have had some lights chillin in my room since christmas, b/c i havent been able to get anybody to weld tabs on my bumper, so id rather not go the welding way.

i read ur other post though before it was moved again, and im mounting it on the outside of the toobox facing the tailgate

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
gregers05 said:
so ive done tons of searching and didnt come up with anything that im wanting to do sooo...

i need to figure out a way to mount my co2 tank on my toolbox so that it is stored at a horizontal angle, but when in use be at a vertical angle. so what im needing help with is figuring out a way to mount is so that i can easily rotate the tank to the vertical position or vise versa with out taking the tank off its mounting bracket. here is a pic that i did on paint to show what i mean...
(btw, i want it mounted on the outside front of the toolbox, facing the tailgate)

any suggestions on what to do? i cant weld so thats out i can do anything but weld so i want to hear what you guys think...
wow, good luck trying to do something like that. even a 10# tank weights more that the thin metal of a tool box will support under even half-way extreme wheeling and forget a 20#er.
If you are worried about theft throw the thing in the box.

I've got one of these for my 5# fire ext in the cab but they make them for all sizes of CO2 tanks as well
http://shop.aholics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=2-OA-BRKT10
with a backing plate on the inside of the box to add some support it should work fine.

but..I have no idea how you would come up with something that would rotate and still be secure off-roading.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hytenor said:
wow, good luck trying to do something like that. even a 10# tank weights more that the thin metal of a tool box will support under even half-way extreme wheeling and forget a 20#er.
If you are worried about theft throw the thing in the box.

I've got one of these for my 5# fire ext in the cab but they make them for all sizes of CO2 tanks as well
http://shop.aholics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=2-OA-BRKT10
with a backing plate on the inside of the box to add some support it should work fine.

but..I have no idea how you would come up with something that would rotate and still be secure off-roading.

LOL thanks for the link. im thinking it would be 8098234x easier to just mount it upright in the bed im planning on either a 15lb or a 20lb im not sure yet, probably a 15lb though. i thought i remembered seeing somebody that did the rotating thing a while ago, but maybe not lol, and it might have been on a bed bar instead of a toolbox.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
=ACID RAIN= said:
I have something that might work, but it'll take me some time to get to the thread because I'm at work...

thats cool i have time...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ShowStop said:
Why not get one of the mounting brackets like Powertank and The Source carry. Mount your tank in that, then attach a big hinge to the bottom corner of the bracket and to the bottom of your tool box. The tank lays down during transport, and you can flip it up when you need to use it.

hmmm thats not a bad idea, ill have to think about that... :kewl:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
=ACID RAIN= said:
I have something that might work, but it'll take me some time to get to the thread because I'm at work...
u back from work yet? lol

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Why can't you just mount it horizonally - and use it horizonally. The tank will still work fine even if you mount the thing upside down.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SAR_Squid79 said:
Why can't you just mount it horizonally - and use it horizonally. The tank will still work fine even if you mount the thing upside down.

you cant use it when its horizontal, the liquid will get into the hose and tire...it has to be at least at a 30 degree angle

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Hmph - That's good to know! Learn something new every day. I deal with o2 tanks all the time, and didn't think there'd be a difference.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
gregers05 said:
you cant use it when its horizontal, the liquid will get into the hose and tire...it has to be at least at a 30 degree angle
yea, a good way to have a tire explode :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
You know how some trailer jacks can twist up to the horizontal position when the trailer is being towed? Mabey you could get a jack cheap, take the jacking mechanism off and mount the O2 tank somehow on the hinge. It will be able to be locked into position (horizontally or vertically) and then pivot to either way when you need it. To mount it you might want to look into some hose clamps or V-band clamps. I dont know, just an idea.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
silver98Z71 said:
You know how some trailer jacks can twist up to the horizontal position when the trailer is being towed? Mabey you could get a jack cheap, take the jacking mechanism off and mount the O2 tank somehow on the hinge. It will be able to be locked into position (horizontally or vertically) and then pivot to either way when you need it. To mount it you might want to look into some hose clamps or V-band clamps. I dont know, just an idea.

hmm that sounds like it might work, ill have to do some more research. thanks for the ideas everyone

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
idk if a trailer jack would work without alot of modification, but this did get me thinking, and i think i have come up with something fairly simple. ill let you guys know once i figure out what im going to put this together and what exactly im going to use to make it work

1 - 20 of 41 Posts