TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with my 98 2.7 4x4 tacoma. I've never heard of this type of problem so i'll describe it as best I can.:

1: When driving, both the tach and the speedo needle immediately drop to zero then resume position of the speed travelled. At the same time the display on my radio shuts off and on. All of this with immediate speed whereas I cant tell the radio shut off at all. Like a second or less.

2:When this happens at a higher speed there is no feeling of this occuring. At moderate speeds you feel a bump like surge then its back to normal. at low speeds or an idle it kills the engine. Usually when the engine is killed as described above it's with the power shutting off and immediately turning back on. It dies and I just turn the key and keep on rolling along.

3: On occasion when parked I get in, turn the key, and only the two left hand idiot lights come on but the engine doesnt crank. Neither does the radio. I'll wait a second, do this a few more times with the same result. Then finally, lets say after 3-5 trys it just kicks on lik there was never a problem.

I took it to a dealer due to the fact i wasnt sure where a good mechanic could come up with a diagnostic of an electrical problem and I've had good experiences in the past. They did a diagnostic and came up with a "crank sensor failure" warning. But they seemed unsure of what the entire picture was with this. What do you guys think? Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
553 Posts
This is going to help very much, but it almost sounds like you've got a major short somewhere... If it feels like a surge when the power comes back on, check things directly in line with the alternator? (maybe the large load that the short is pulling is giving you that "surge" feeling?) Not sure... just throwin' ideas at you more or less...

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Really sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch, all symptoms point to it...My .02

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies so far. The surge seems more like a misfire from a momentary loss of power.

The ignition switch.

Would that also cause the vehicle not to turn over also?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would unbolt you ECU main ground, sand the back and sand the spot it makes contact with the engine, then bolt it down tight. Do this to your battery terminals also make sure there clean and tight. I had a problem were my truck would buck when driving down the road only for a split second, but only the engine would stall, not the stereo or lights due to the bad ground for the ecu. It was barely loose but it was enough. Most intermitant electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Appreciate the replies so far. The surge seems more like a misfire from a momentary loss of power.

The ignition switch.

Would that also cause the vehicle not to turn over also?

Thanks again.
Sure would, would also explain the loss of the gauges and such. Just turn your truck off and the gauges drop, the engine stops...You get the point.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I would unbolt you ECU main ground, sand the back and sand the spot it makes contact with the engine, then bolt it down tight. Do this to your battery terminals also make sure there clean and tight. I had a problem were my truck would buck when driving down the road only for a split second, but only the engine would stall, not the stereo or lights due to the bad ground for the ecu. It was barely loose but it was enough. Most intermitant electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds.
Also very good advice. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
i kinda have the same problem but it has to do more with the Kc lights i put on. when i turn the Kc lights on my gas gauge drops to E and goes back to normal postion when i turn the kc lights off. the lights are hooked up directly to the battery and are not connected to the truck in anyway. there are no other problems or i have not notice since i turned my lights off after seeing this. any idea's?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm having trouble with my 98 2.7 4x4 tacoma. I've never heard of this type of problem so i'll describe it as best I can.:

1: When driving, both the tach and the speedo needle immediately drop to zero then resume position of the speed travelled. At the same time the display on my radio shuts off and on. All of this with immediate speed whereas I cant tell the radio shut off at all. Like a second or less.

2:When this happens at a higher speed there is no feeling of this occuring. At moderate speeds you feel a bump like surge then its back to normal. at low speeds or an idle it kills the engine. Usually when the engine is killed as described above it's with the power shutting off and immediately turning back on. It dies and I just turn the key and keep on rolling along.

3: On occasion when parked I get in, turn the key, and only the two left hand idiot lights come on but the engine doesnt crank. Neither does the radio. I'll wait a second, do this a few more times with the same result. Then finally, lets say after 3-5 trys it just kicks on lik there was never a problem.

I took it to a dealer due to the fact i wasnt sure where a good mechanic could come up with a diagnostic of an electrical problem and I've had good experiences in the past. They did a diagnostic and came up with a "crank sensor failure" warning. But they seemed unsure of what the entire picture was with this. What do you guys think? Thanks. :confused:
Let us know when its fixed and what the problem(s) were so others can reference to this thread because i have heard of several people having similiar electrical problems in their tacos (except mostly the new models).

BTW:
This thread would have been fine in the Interior/Electrical/Electronics forum

·
Registered
540 Posts
also check the link from the battery to the fuse box near the battery. check for corrosion too. try wiggleing a few wires while its running and see if there is a change. if the connection is poor touching the wires here and there can help diagnose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They did a diagnostic and came up with a "crank sensor failure" warning. But they seemed unsure of what the entire picture was with this. What do you guys think? Thanks. :confused:

I had the same thing happen in my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. It turned out to just be a bad crank position sensor. The sensor wasn't expensive, getting to it was a pain, but all it took was pulling out the bad one and putting in the good one. Whole thing only cost about $50.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Really sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch, all symptoms point to it...My .02
X2, my truck does a similar thing, only cuase the ingnition is broken, you can turn the key too far... kinda have to make sure the key is actually in the right "on" position, and if I am wheeling it can jiggle into different positions and i have the same problem

·
Registered
356 Posts
Power loss

i kinda have the same problem but it has to do more with the Kc lights i put on. when i turn the Kc lights on my gas gauge drops to E and goes back to normal postion when i turn the kc lights off. the lights are hooked up directly to the battery and are not connected to the truck in anyway. there are no other problems or i have not notice since i turned my lights off after seeing this. any idea's?
Being you have your KC lights directly connected to the battery the surge of them coming on is drawing alot of power!!
I am not sure that connecting them to the fuse box would fix the problem.
My big question is did you use a relay when installing them??
:confused:

Their not drawing all that power because their connected to the battery
they will do that anyhow!!!

They can just draw more directly with little resistance

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Clean your battery terminals. Its one of the most common electrical problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts