TTORA Forum banner

HELP! Who knows the differece in the rear Differential?! HELP!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  SP Jon M3 
#1 ·
Please help me out! If anybody actually knows the differences in the rear diffs. I am planning on getting an 05 Toco but I do not know which rear diff to get. What percent does the limited slip diff lock? Does it vary depending on traction?
What about the rear locking diff, when it is not locked what is it? Is it limited slip or is it an open diff? That would make it one wheel drive on the road, not to good in the rain!
I presently have a Subaru Baja and have gotten very used to being able to mash down the gas pedal in the rain going around corners with out even a hint of wheel spin! Problem with the Subaru is that it has no balls, no low range. I cant climb the smallest of off road hills!
How about the center diff (xfer case) is it full locking? Can you use it on the pavement or only if there is a little slip?
Thanks for any help or tech info anyone can offer! I want to get the best setup for the driving I do which is 95% street in nasty weather and 5% mountain climbing every weekend for three months during the hunting season.
PS I tried four of my local Toyota dealers and they don’t know sh--! One guy told me the limited slip is a dynamic one, which can lock up if it needs to. I asked him why they sell the locking one then. He told me that that’s the way off road people like it. HELP!

:eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
There are three different diffs.

1) Open diff - If a wheel is off the ground or slipping then all the power will go to that wheel.
2) Limited Slip diff - If a wheel is slipping at a certain point it will start to transfer power to the wheel that had traction. But only a certain amount (not sure what the rate is on the Tacoma)
3) TRD e-locker diff. - This is a diff that is open for normal driving. It will lock when you push the button on the dash, but you have to be in 4lo if 4x4 (unless you apply the gray wire mod) and below 5mph. After it is locked you can drive as fast as you want. Now a locked diff is like a spool. It transfers equal power to both tires no matter what. So when going around a corner you will start chirping the inside tire because it will normally want to rotate slower that the outside wheel, but can't because there is no differential in speed. This is not good for rain or snow unless you are going in a straight line, like pulling a boat out of the water or pulling someone out of a stuck.

Now with the new '05 there is the TRAC option. This will have the e-lsd if you have an open diff (or TRD e-locker diff I think?). This will use the braking in the rear to make the truck act like there is an LSD in the truck. If a wheel starts spinning then it will apply brake pressure to that wheel, this will transfer power to the wheel that does have traction.

No for the center transfer case. This is similar to the e-locker. Once you put the truck in 4wd then the center is locked up. There is no differential in speed between the front or rear. This again is only used when there is traction problems, not to be used on dry pavement. If you drive like this on dry pavement it will put unneeded stress on the driveline components. This will eventually lead to something braking. Again when you turn the front and rear wheels turn at different rates.

For you needs it sounds like you would be better off with the LSD. The LSD is better in bad weather and the street. The TRD e-locker is better for wheeling cause you want power to as many wheels at all time, and when you are in dirt or mud this allows enough slippage of the tires so the drivetrain does not bind up.

#3 · (Edited)
This is confusing to me. Trails Less Traveled (and I would have to agree) has a write up on diff types.

EDIT---It goes on to say that Tacomas (98-04) with the e-locker have a gear driven limited slip when the e-locker was disenguged.---I just refered back to TLT and I did not find what I originaly stated. Therefore I am saying that TLT did not say that TRD E-locker diffs have a limited slip when disengauged.

But then two days ago I think I read that the 05's have a clutch driven limited slip. Which TLT goes on to say are beter for street use, but when a wheel is off the ground it will wear out the clutch discs (just like a manual tranny), which makes complete sense. Man I hope toyota did not swap for a cluch diff. :(---I guess I'm outta luck

#4 ·
SP Jon M3 said:
There are three different diffs.

1) Open diff - If a wheel is off the ground or slipping then all the power will go to that wheel.
2) Limited Slip diff - If a wheel is slipping at a certain point it will start to transfer power to the wheel that had traction. But only a certain amount (not sure what the rate is on the Tacoma)
3) TRD e-locker diff. - This is a diff that is open for normal driving. It will lock when you push the button on the dash, but you have to be in 4lo if 4x4 (unless you apply the gray wire mod) and below 5mph. After it is locked you can drive as fast as you want. Now a locked diff is like a spool. It transfers equal power to both tires no matter what. So when going around a corner you will start chirping the inside tire because it will normally want to rotate slower that the outside wheel, but can't because there is no differential in speed. This is not good for rain or snow unless you are going in a straight line, like pulling a boat out of the water or pulling someone out of a stuck.

Now with the new '05 there is the TRAC option. This will have the e-lsd if you have an open diff (or TRD e-locker diff I think?). This will use the braking in the rear to make the truck act like there is an LSD in the truck. If a wheel starts spinning then it will apply brake pressure to that wheel, this will transfer power to the wheel that does have traction.

No for the center transfer case. This is similar to the e-locker. Once you put the truck in 4wd then the center is locked up. There is no differential in speed between the front or rear. This again is only used when there is traction problems, not to be used on dry pavement. If you drive like this on dry pavement it will put unneeded stress on the driveline components. This will eventually lead to something braking. Again when you turn the front and rear wheels turn at different rates.

For you needs it sounds like you would be better off with the LSD. The LSD is better in bad weather and the street. The TRD e-locker is better for wheeling cause you want power to as many wheels at all time, and when you are in dirt or mud this allows enough slippage of the tires so the drivetrain does not bind up.
you are obviously NOT a car salesman, LOL nice post ;)

#5 ·
Kyota said:
This is confusing to me. Trails Less Traveled (and I would have to agree) has a write up on diff types. It goes on to say that Tacomas (98-04) with the e-locker have a gear driven limited slip when the e-locker was disenguged. But then two days ago I think I read that the 05's have a clutch driven limited slip. Which TLT goes on to say are beter for street use, but when a wheel is off the ground it will wear out the clutch discs (just like a manual tranny), which makes complete sense. Man I hope toyota did not swap for a cluch diff. :(
My old '01 with the TRD e-locker does not have any sort of LSD. I'm 95% sure that the factory TRD lockers 95-04 do not have any sort of LSD in them, they are all completely open when disengaged. I think I heard that the '04 Tacomas did have some sort of traction control system and might have had the e-LSD, but not a mechanical LSD.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for all the info! Too bad they dont use an electronically controlled rear diff like the VW Toureg. Then you could have it all.
Have any of you guys with the e-lockers and open diff noticed a rear wheel spin in the rain? :confused: Especially now that the 6 has so much more tourque.
Thanks again for the help!

#7 ·
Wait, one more question!

If I get the limited slip instead of the e-locker can I later add lockers to the LSD? That way I would have my cake and I could eat it too. How hard is it to add lockers? And before I go and get myself too excited, can you add lockers to the LSD? :lmao:
Thanks once again!

#8 ·
konrad said:
If I get the limited slip instead of the e-locker can I later add lockers to the LSD? That way I would have my cake and I could eat it too. How hard is it to add lockers? And before I go and get myself too excited, can you add lockers to the LSD? :lmao:
Thanks once again!
No you can't add a locker to an LSD diff. The LSD diff is replaced with a locking diff. I you really want a locker go with the TRD. It's backed by the factory warranty. A locker is not an easy thing to install you are better off having a pro install it.

#9 ·
konrad said:
Thanks once again!
Uh...no ;)

a locker is a locker (you only get one/diff)
an LSD is a LSD
toyota only has either/or but not both. the new Taco with some sort of traction control is simply the e-locker with some fancy ABS magic.

unless you have a Jeep Rubicon, they come with an LSD/locker ;)

#11 ·
Smiling_Jim said:
Hytenor,

Hmmm, LSD/Locker? Sounds like it will be expensive to fix when it breaks.

Lots of hard to get parts.

Jim
Yup, and I understand Jeep is already having problems with them...what a surprise ;)

#12 ·
konrad said:
Please help me out! If anybody actually knows the differences in the rear diffs. I am planning on getting an 05 Toco but I do not know which rear diff to get. What percent does the limited slip diff lock? Does it vary depending on traction?
What about the rear locking diff, when it is not locked what is it? Is it limited slip or is it an open diff? That would make it one wheel drive on the road, not to good in the rain!
I presently have a Subaru Baja and have gotten very used to being able to mash down the gas pedal in the rain going around corners with out even a hint of wheel spin! Problem with the Subaru is that it has no balls, no low range. I cant climb the smallest of off road hills!
How about the center diff (xfer case) is it full locking? Can you use it on the pavement or only if there is a little slip?
Thanks for any help or tech info anyone can offer! I want to get the best setup for the driving I do which is 95% street in nasty weather and 5% mountain climbing every weekend for three months during the hunting season.
PS I tried four of my local Toyota dealers and they don’t know sh--! One guy told me the limited slip is a dynamic one, which can lock up if it needs to. I asked him why they sell the locking one then. He told me that that’s the way off road people like it. HELP!

:eek:
There was no limited slip in conjunction with the e-locker. I haven't heard of anyone trying the old grey wire mod on an '05.

Just get the e-locker if you intend to go off-road. Open on the street doesn't matter unless your daily driving includes squirreling around getting rubber in front of the high school. The locker will be a huge asset for you on the trail.

If you really aren't gonna wheel it, do whatever. E-locker should result in a higher resale value.

#13 ·
AHHHH - Higher resale!

Thanks for the usefull info. I guess I will get the e-locker. I know how much it sucks to sit and spin, my Subaru has let me down a couple of times with its LSD, and it has two: center and rear. I can overpower them with my hands when the car is up on the lift. Not what I thought it would be! Thanks. :D

#14 ·
konrad said:
Thanks for the usefull info. I guess I will get the e-locker. I know how much it sucks to sit and spin, my Subaru has let me down a couple of times with its LSD, and it has two: center and rear. I can overpower them with my hands when the car is up on the lift. Not what I thought it would be! Thanks. :D
The subaru should have 3 LSDs. Front, center, and rear.

#15 ·
Only 2 LSD

The Subaru Baja (the small 4 door pickup: like the Brat) does not have a front LSD, it is an open diff. That is why I have gotten stuck with it. When ever I am off road in the mud or snow, going up a decent incline and one of the front tires looses traction, the center diff is not capable to push enough power to the rear to move the car up the incline. Sit and spin baby!
The first weekend I had the car it snowed and I thought it was the greatest thing on 4 wheels, right until I tried to pull off the pavement up the side of the road. I went off at an angle and had the back two wheels on the pavement and only one front in the snow starting up the hill. The one in the snow started to spin and I just sat there. I thought it came out of gear so I put it back in and hit it, I just sat still, only the vibration and sound of the one front wheel spinning.
I took it back to the dealer because I thought it was broken. They checked it out and said it was in perfict working condition. I guess that depends on what you consider perfect.
Anyway, there are only 2 LSD that are great assuming there is = traction on all wheels. On flat surfaces in sand or snow you cant keep all 4 from spinning if you hit it all the way, but, dont go up hills or you will soon find how much they suck! :(

#17 ·
konrad said:
The Subaru Baja (the small 4 door pickup: like the Brat) does not have a front LSD, it is an open diff. That is why I have gotten stuck with it. When ever I am off road in the mud or snow, going up a decent incline and one of the front tires looses traction, the center diff is not capable to push enough power to the rear to move the car up the incline. Sit and spin baby!
The first weekend I had the car it snowed and I thought it was the greatest thing on 4 wheels, right until I tried to pull off the pavement up the side of the road. I went off at an angle and had the back two wheels on the pavement and only one front in the snow starting up the hill. The one in the snow started to spin and I just sat there. I thought it came out of gear so I put it back in and hit it, I just sat still, only the vibration and sound of the one front wheel spinning.
I took it back to the dealer because I thought it was broken. They checked it out and said it was in perfict working condition. I guess that depends on what you consider perfect.
Anyway, there are only 2 LSD that are great assuming there is = traction on all wheels. On flat surfaces in sand or snow you cant keep all 4 from spinning if you hit it all the way, but, dont go up hills or you will soon find how much they suck! :(

Wow.. that's not cool. I thought that would be better than a 4x4 in the snow because of the "advanced" AWD system. Sorry to hear that. I'll tell you you'll be really happy with a Tacoma in the snow. That is one of the primary reasons I bought one. And then I bought another one :D . They work great in the snow. I have never been stuck and have been in everything from fresh plowed half snow half paved roads to 1'-2' deep snow and these tacos go right through!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.